Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change the Apple ID for a game and not lose the progress made?

Short version of my question: can I change the apple id associated with a game to another one and not lose the progress made in the game thus far?

Long version: when there were only a few iGadgets in the house, all games and music were downloaded through Alpha's apple id and the credit card tied to that account. Now, we two folks have multiple iGadgets between the both of us and Beta has her own apple ID. Because we only used one apple id for so long, Beta has some games installed through Alpha's account and her own Beta account. Beta would now like to change the account the game PocketTimeSuck is associated with from Alpha's account to Beta's account without losing any of the progress made in this game which she has been playing for over a year.

Is there any way of re-installing PocketTimeSuck onto Beta's device under Beta's apple ID and maintain the progress in the game she has made after installing it under Alpha's apple id? Alpha would like to start playing PocketTimeSuck but cannot install it under her own apple id because it comes with all of Beta's progress.

(Also, if this is not the right forum, please let me know where I should post this question. Don't flame me, just tell me.)

iPad 2

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:13 AM

You are in the correct forum.

There is no way to switch an App or game to another ID and keep the app and the progress, documents, files, etc in that app or game. Apps are always tied to the ID that was used to purchase them and the backup is tied to that ID as well.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2012 10:13 AM in response to iPhD

You are in the correct forum.

There is no way to switch an App or game to another ID and keep the app and the progress, documents, files, etc in that app or game. Apps are always tied to the ID that was used to purchase them and the backup is tied to that ID as well.

Nov 16, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Demo

OK. I was afraid of that.

So now I'm thinking out loud: Should Alpha create a new account (apple id? game center? other?) for the express purpose of playing this game? I'm thinking that Alpha would have her main account and a secondary account just for PocketTimeSuck. Would this work? Is this possible?

Nov 16, 2012 10:31 AM in response to iPhD

OK. So now I'm talking to myself. 🙂

I created a new Apple ID specifically so I can download this game, PocketTimeSuck, onto my iPad. I think I'm starting to understand a bit more how the IDs are tied to game downloads versus devices, etc. Basically, every other app on the iPad is tied to the Alpha account and now only this (free) game is tied to the AlphaB account. I will have to update the game through AlphaB but otherwise I can continue to use the Alpha account as I have been this whole time. <sheesh>

Nov 16, 2012 10:32 AM in response to iPhD

I'm getting confused by the Greek alphabet here so I will explain it this way and hope I understand what you are asking.

Beta has been playing a game that she downloaded using Alpha's ID but now Beta would like to transfer the game and all of its progress to her own ID. That is not possible to do. The game was bought with Alpha's ID and is now associated with that ID and that progress is part of Alpha's backup.

Alpha now wants to play the game under her own ID but the game is associated with her ID already. If she wanted to, she could just pick up where beta left off and leave Beta out in the cold. Somehow I don't think that is a good solution for either Alpha or Beta. 😉

Alpha should probably create a new Game Center account and start all over again with her own Game Center account. Beta will obviously have to do the same thing if she wants to play this game using her own Apple ID on her own iGadget.

So if I do understand correctly, Alpha and Beta will both have to start over again. Howver, I could be confused because this is all "Greek to me".

Nov 16, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Demo

Demo, you have it down perfectly.

However, I have a question about Apple ID and Game Center ID. Are these the same thing?

It makes sense to me that a file downloaded under the Alpha apple ID is forever tied to the Alpha apple ID. I rarely use Game Center (mainly because I hate seeing how much better at games other people are than me). Is my apple ID my default Game Center ID?

Nov 16, 2012 11:19 AM in response to iPhD

You can read this for some more detailed information about Game Center. I have an account but I don't "game" as much as I did when I was a younger lad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4314

I did set mine account up with my Apple ID and I believe that is the preferred way of doing it. You could create another ID just to use in the Game Center. The purchased games will still be tied to the ID that was used to purchase them.

I know that others have created multiple Game Center accounts when they were having issues, so there must be a way to create another account aside from using your Apple ID - but I assume that you will need another email address to associate with that account.

Nov 23, 2016 3:58 PM in response to Demo

I have 2 different iPods with a different clash of clans on both bought using the same Apple ID. I hope they will both be saved as families have multiple iPods under the same iCloud account. I need to know if they are both protected. the newer iPod always asks if I want to load the other game and warns me that progress will be lost in the current game. I used Game Center to sign in and out of two accounts. Now not only is Game Center gone but I can't find the games where you can switch between the accounts. I think apple just wants to rip us off and steal our money again like usu

Change the Apple ID for a game and not lose the progress made?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.