Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I batch archive a folder list in Automator?

hello --

in principle it should be rather easy, but i think i am missing something. all i want to do is this:

1.) Get Selected Finder Items

2.) foreach Folder create archive with same name and same location

i can't find a way to tell automator to use each selected folder instead of all of them as input for the create archive function. any suggestions how i can do that would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance.

p.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:01 PM

So, in my workflow, the first action might be

Get Selected Finder Items

Then my next action might be Run AppleScript that contains something like this

on run {input, parameters}

repeat with anItem from input

(* Your script goes here *)

end repeat

return input

end run

9 replies

Nov 17, 2012 10:16 AM in response to Patrick J

Hi,

Patrick J wrote:

i assume this means there is no direct way without applescript to loop through a list of folders in automator?

You can use this solution:

- Keep The first action, remove all other actions.

- Add the "Run Shell Script" action.

- In this action :

- Select "/bin/bash" in the first popup, select "as arguments" in the second popup.

- Cut all text.

- Copy/paste this text :

for f in "$@"
do
    /usr/bin/ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc "$f" "$f.zip"
    echo "$f.zip" ## return the path of each archive to the next action
done

Nov 19, 2012 4:56 AM in response to Patrick J

I'm pleased that Jacques's solution works because, upon further testing, I see that mine doesn't. I was using a very simple test case: two folders on the Desktop.

By the way, I had the Loop action set to Ask to continue. I see now that setting it to Loop automatically/Stop after 0 minutes will cause only the first item to be processed. Keeping Loop automatically and inserting a Pause action (at 2 secs) didn't help--the workflow still processes only the first item. Weird.

How can I batch archive a folder list in Automator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.