Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power output from USB ports

The manual for the Thunderbolt display says the USB ports can be used to charge iphone / iPad. The new iPads (4th gen) come with a 12w charger.

What is the power rating on the Thunderbolt Display's USB ports? Is it at least 12w?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:33 AM

5 replies

Dec 15, 2012 8:57 AM in response to JMAbeshaus

Yes, I understand P = IE, but didn't know I could find the available current data in the Sys Info.

At only 2.5w, a full charge of the 42w/hr battery via the Mac or Thunderbolt monitor would probably take 18-24hs given the non-linear charge curve. An overnight charge might put back half the capacity.

Since the included iPad 4 charger puts out 12w, it is clearly the charger of choice!

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2015 7:41 AM in response to JMAbeshaus

I was looking for more detailed information on these ports and came across this incorrect information (and since it shows in google, yes I'm replying to an old thread). The display can certainly provide 1A to Apple peripherals.

After plugging my iPhone into my thunderbolt display I opened system information and it has this (Extra operating current is what is important here):

iPhone:

Product ID: 0x12a8

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 8.02

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0xa0110000 / 8

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Extra Operating Current (mA): 500

Power output from USB ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.