Skip navigation

Old 1st Gen Nano Shuts Down

161 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 9:32 AM by planb77 RSS
masond Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 16, 2012 3:02 PM

My first generation ipod nano, which I only use these days when I go running, shuts off whenever I go running.  If it's lying still on top of my desk, it'll play until the cows come home.  But I can't run two hundred yards with it strapped to my arm before it completely shuts down (and, upon restarting, doesn't remember anything of what it was doing before shutting down).

So, it's very old by ipod standards, but was suited to the purpose I have for it.

Any reason this thing should shut down completely, and quickly, when in motion, but should function just fine at rest?

Mac OS X (10.7)
  • planb77 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Nov 20, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to masond)

Not sure exactly. The motion from running could be wiggling something loose. Do you use the headphones with remote and mic? If so, those could be getting moisture on them, causing some short circuiting that leads to odd behavior such as what you are experiencing.

B-rock

Nov 20, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to masond)

There is a pretty good chance it could be the headphone jack port or the jack on the actual headset that is getting wiggled around.

Do you have another set of earbuds you can try?

B-rock

Nov 20, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to masond)

Yes.  It's a feature of the Nano. When it no longer detects a headset, it pauses playback. However, you said a complete shutdown, so that would actually rule that possibility out.

Perhaps the battery's connection to the logic board wiggles when running causing the iPod to lose power.  I'm not 100% sure as there are still a few other possibilities, but I'm still leaning towards something getting jiggled around.

B-rock

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.