Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old 1st Gen Nano Shuts Down

My first generation ipod nano, which I only use these days when I go running, shuts off whenever I go running. If it's lying still on top of my desk, it'll play until the cows come home. But I can't run two hundred yards with it strapped to my arm before it completely shuts down (and, upon restarting, doesn't remember anything of what it was doing before shutting down).

So, it's very old by ipod standards, but was suited to the purpose I have for it.

Any reason this thing should shut down completely, and quickly, when in motion, but should function just fine at rest?

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:02 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2012 9:00 AM in response to planb77

Thanks for the thought.

I'm using the Apple earphones that came with it. Some sixth-gen owners say that a software update causes the 6th-gen nanos to shut off if the earphones aren't plugged all the way in. Is it possible that wear-and-tear inside the earphone port could make a space that would make an old 1st-gen nano shut down? (Though it's not clear to me whether the 6th-gens are turning off or shutting down—mine is completely shutting down.)

Is it also possible that a worn-out click-wheel could cause the nano to shut down?

To develop a fix, I need to know what would tell an old nano to shut down completely.

Nov 20, 2012 9:32 AM in response to masond

Yes. It's a feature of the Nano. When it no longer detects a headset, it pauses playback. However, you said a complete shutdown, so that would actually rule that possibility out.

Perhaps the battery's connection to the logic board wiggles when running causing the iPod to lose power. I'm not 100% sure as there are still a few other possibilities, but I'm still leaning towards something getting jiggled around.

B-rock

Old 1st Gen Nano Shuts Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.