Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot upgrade 10.8.1 to 10.8.2

I have a new Late 2012 Macbook Pro 13" retina - I restored from my 2012 Air with time machine. I cannot update to 10.8.2 from 10.8.1 that came installed. Now my newer iPhoto and other programs that are newer versions do not work. I have done all the permissions etc. nothing works. Is this another botched Apple upgrade?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:05 PM

13 replies

Nov 16, 2012 11:26 PM in response to craigsipad2

Did you try this update which is special for certain machines (yours appears to qualify):

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603

And, if that is the case, that might explain any problems with your restore unless you only transferred user files, etc - your Air has the older - and regular - build, so something might have gotten messed up. On that point, I would suggest you call Apple and ask about what can be transferred - take advantage of your warranty (you paid for it!).

Nov 17, 2012 7:08 AM in response to babowa

Thanks for the advice babowa, as the poster after suggests the link you posted has been taken down indicatcing there was probably a problem with the update. Because my 2012 Air was fully updated along with iPhoto that has created a situation where anything like iPhoto that requires 10.8.2 will not open now. I will wait this out as I feel out this computer. I have a Best Buy silver rewards card that gives me 45 days of hassle free return. I may return it for a base Air 256GB and wait until next year for the upgrades that give this thing real horsepower anyway (Discreet grahics, new processor, more storage for less money etc) Love the size of this computer though, can actually open the screen on airplane tray tables!!

Nov 17, 2012 8:18 AM in response to craigsipad2

Interesting - Apple has now also taken down the article itself.....

I was just going to check the list of applicable devices on it because I don't remember if the Air was listed, but it doesn't matter if your Air was fully updated - it is a different build and if you meant "restore" as having restored the entire system from scratch using the Air's TM backup, then it would most likely not work (unless both machines had the same build).

My mid 2010 iMac has the latest 10.8.2 and the build is 12C60 for this version of 10.8.2 - my 2012 MBP also has the latest 10.8.2, but the build is 12C3006. That is why I asked if you just "restored" some files, user folder, etc.

Nov 24, 2012 7:59 AM in response to craigsipad2

I ran into precisely the same issue. I had an iMac that went belly up. Apple said it would replace it, but couldn't with an iMac because it awaits the newer version; older iMacs are not in stock. Instead, they gave me a Mac mini and monitor. The mini came preinstalled with 10.8.1. Naturally, I went to upgrade it to 10.8.2 -- and update the iPhoto and Aperture apps, which wouldn't update without 10.8.2 because it had to redo the libraries to sync with 10.8.2. (Mind you, I had successfully updated all of this on my MacBook Pro JUST before my iMac went belly up.)

Well, after MUCH MUCH aggravation and wasted time, Apple Care support put me onto a higher-level tech. Turns out that Apple discovered a flaw in 10.8.2 and essentially stopped supporting it. So, you may have gotten lucky just prior to that discovery -- as I did with my MacBook Pro -- but not after they found the flaw. The Apple Care tech could NOT say when that would be. He did help me create new temporary iPhoto and Aperture libraries that I can access if I hold down the option key if I launch. (Dates, keywords, faces, etc., didn't come along with the strategy, which he told me would be the case.) But I can't otherwise access iPhoto or Aperture in regular mode until the update is fixed or replaced with 10.8.3.

I don't know why Apple continues to show the 10.8.2 update (or if it does) but that's the issue. Don't hurt your brain trying and trying again to make the thing work now.

P.S. It's possible that 10.8.2 works on some models, but not on others. I didn't ask him.

Nov 24, 2012 8:09 AM in response to LJB

P.S. It's possible that 10.8.2 works on some models, but not on others. I didn't ask him.

If you'll check my earlier post, there are two different builds of 10.8.2 - that is why one version is and will be available since it is for the majority of machines out there. That build is 12C60. Only late 2012 machines require a special build which is the one that was taken off for the moment (before it disappeared, that was build 12C3006).

Nov 24, 2012 6:34 PM in response to babowa

This is just another example of where Apple is feeling forced by competition, internal pressure or whatever, to release software and hardware at acclerated rates. This translates directly to a customer experience of frustration and lack of confidence in the product.

They better lay back, reassess, and get their house in order or they are destined to become the next HP, or think or your own worst example.

cannot upgrade 10.8.1 to 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.