I just installed my new Mini today, and encountered the same update problem. I called Apple Support because the wording of the error message seemed to imply that something is wrong with my disk volume. What a mistake!
The gentleman on the phone was astounded to hear about this problem, and proceeded to take me through many blind alleys (disk utility, apple-id issues, etc.) When I finally got him to escalate (after an hour), he came back and told me that the update had been pulled.
Perhaps it would make sense to:
- inform the level one support people that this situation exists
- issue error messages that explain the problem
I blame myself for not doing a simple Google search first, but still....
Great!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one and that apple is aware (bought a new mac mini yesterday), so people, all we've got to do is wait, I mean, it really isn't as bad as the blue screen of doom from Microsoft, hopefully apple gets some time between iMaps and i-Courts to settle this problem soon
Thank you, Dr. Document. That was clear from reading the thread. I was just pointing out that rather than each user seeking a solution himself, a few strategically placed messages would make sense.
- The update package now says it is recommended for all Macs running Mountain Lion. At the moment that isn't true. It could list systems which are not currently ready, saving people the time and frustration of downloading and then having the install fail with a cryptic message about the volume on which the installation is to be installed.
- The iPhoto update that now appears in the app store requires 10.8.2, and will not install. It erroneously says that the OS X update appears on the Update tab, which as of now it does not. For users who cannot currently install 10.8.2, the iPhoto update should also be pulled to avoid the conflicting instructions.
- The app store Update page would be an ideal place to display a message describing the situation while a fix is pending.
I don't think anyone would mind waiting a while for this to be fixed. It's the lack of information in the right time and place that's so irritating, and totally avoidable with just a small effort.
Agreed. And I would expect phone support staff to be aware of issues which have already been reported in major Mac news sites.
Speaking of which, have you seen this?
Have you tried 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0?
Although it's not clearly written, it does suggest that applying this update would then allow installation of 10.8.2.
But the update's name suggests that it would be applied after prior update to 10.8.2.
Apple has released a new software update, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0. The code fixes the issues behind an earlier release, and should let the 2012 , 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, and 2012 iMac properly upgrade to v10.8.2. "This update addresses an issue with Keychain that can affect 2012 Mac systems," Apple's notes read.
It's relatively rare for Apple to pull . The company usually tests each one thoroughly, and often any new glitches can be fixed in a subsequent update. Supplemental Update 2.0 is a 26.65MB download.
Agreed; unfortunately, there are no Apple employees here - but........
you might want to use the feedback area to make suggestions:
(this one is for the online support; there are others for products, but I thought this would be the most relevant since the info should be posted online)
I was suggesting "real-life" contact with Support, either by chat or phone, which should be free of charge given the problems with new Macs and 10.8.2.
Updating has been somewhat confusing lately. Sometimes, if I recall correctly, if a previous update was applied from App Store, a downloaded updater would not install. I am now attempting to use only App Store updates unelss there are specific instructions for a download.
Yes, also a good suggestion; any form of communication might help getting Apple to actually issue some sort of announcement.
Somewhat confusing is an understatement I think - ever since they switched to this (insert preferred adverb) delivery method (MAS), it has become more difficult. However, the method has improved since inception, but I prefer having an install disk.....
I hope this helps. today I opened up the app store after attempting to install 10.8.2 multiple times. With the release of itunes 11 it came as a combo with 10.8.2 and i clicked update. I am happy to say I have 10.8.2 and the new itunes. i hope this works for all.
Hooray! Glad for progress.
Same experience here, plus it offered me a new 10.8.2-dependent version of Safari on the next update check.
For my faith to be restored, they would have to become more transparent about what's going on. There's no shame in pulling a bad update; it's how you deal with the customers about it that's the real character test.