Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clone OS 10.5 system using Time Capsule? Battery estimate accurate?

I bought an old iBook G4 running the Leopard OS (10.5.8), wanting to try out the Mac OS in addition to my year old iPad 2 which, to my initial suprise, I found that I use many times a day and is invaluable, reliable, and easy to use. I bought a new battery (possibly unnecessary) and iWorks (necessary) for the iBook and it works flawlessly. To put it mildly, it's well worth the $60 I paid for it.

Now my question: The installation OS disks didn't come with the iBook and I was wondering if I could clone the iBook's OS using Time Capsule or the Carbon Copy software so that I could reinstall the system in the event of a failure, and whether if the Time Capsule is set up, it automatically copies the iBook's OS and how I could use this to then reinstall the system. Such a failure has never happened with any computer I owned but I've come to value this computer in the several weeks I owned it.

Also, how accurate is the estimate of battery use time available? It just changed from having 2:52 hours available to 3:02 to 3.10 and now 3.11, seeming like a changing target.

Thanks to all.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:19 AM

Hello and welcome to the support community.

What your looking to do is create a backup in the event of failure. First of all your fortunate to have Mac OS X 10.5 installed which gives you the time machine application. You can obtain or use a USB drive and set that up as a time machine. Any USB external drive would work (where it is mac compatible) I personally use this method for backup and restore. In the event your iBook hard drive fails, you can restore from USB drive you setup as a time machine.

The beauty of this is, it's good for future migrations in the event your iBook completely breaks and you have to buy a replacement. Here is some further information about Time Macine that might help answer any questions you may have. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

The battery meter will change according to the use of the iBook. If your doing very little work and its set to the best battery performance, then it will show plenty of available time remaining. If moments later you open a number if application or do a number of tasks, then you'll see straight away the battery use time deprecate. This again may change if the task or applications you was using have been closed or stopped.

I would say from past experience this has been accurate. It also depnds on the quality of battery being used.

Hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2012 3:19 AM in response to middleorangeboy

Hello and welcome to the support community.

What your looking to do is create a backup in the event of failure. First of all your fortunate to have Mac OS X 10.5 installed which gives you the time machine application. You can obtain or use a USB drive and set that up as a time machine. Any USB external drive would work (where it is mac compatible) I personally use this method for backup and restore. In the event your iBook hard drive fails, you can restore from USB drive you setup as a time machine.

The beauty of this is, it's good for future migrations in the event your iBook completely breaks and you have to buy a replacement. Here is some further information about Time Macine that might help answer any questions you may have. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

The battery meter will change according to the use of the iBook. If your doing very little work and its set to the best battery performance, then it will show plenty of available time remaining. If moments later you open a number if application or do a number of tasks, then you'll see straight away the battery use time deprecate. This again may change if the task or applications you was using have been closed or stopped.

I would say from past experience this has been accurate. It also depnds on the quality of battery being used.

Hope this helps.

Clone OS 10.5 system using Time Capsule? Battery estimate accurate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.