Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Little things dent your confidence...

Importing.

Trying to import from a 32 GB CF card - I have maybe 6 different days shooting on it.

Have tried to import selected batches of photos to separate projects relevant to the day taken.

In theory I have imported all projects but have about 20 files that keep showing as unimported despite having don't import duplicates listed.

They are movs from a Canon 5D II

I've restarted Aperture and the same bunch of files will import again to a project (duplicates) and still remain listed for import.

I don't know what's causing this but it dents my confidence in Aperture's file handling capability/library integrity - I've not seen it before.

Any ideas?

I've had to force quit once or twice with the latest update too.

AC

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:57 AM

Hi, Alley_Cat,

so you are running Aperture 3.4.3?

Did you repair and/or rebuild the library after force-quitting?

And can you exclude the card reader/ camera as a problem? Does the same happen, if you import the videos from a folder on your desktop? Also, when importing from a different user account?

Léonie

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2012 3:57 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Hi, Alley_Cat,

And can you exclude the card reader/ camera as a problem? Does the same happen, if you import the videos from a folder on your desktop? Also, when importing from a different user account?

Léonie

Nov 17, 2012 4:36 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie

leonieDF wrote:

Hi, Alley_Cat,

Yes.

No. It seemed to be ok, though at one stage I could not enter the name for a new project - it was just greyed out.

Just repaired permissions and repaired, but problem persists via the FW card reader. Have not tried to rebuild as yet.

I had copied the card over to 2 backup drive locations. Interestingly, there are 2 folders within DCIM as it had flipped a 10k image boundary so I have:

User uploaded file

I wonder if that has something to do with it.

With the card via FW I get 19 movs appearing that are already imported.

If I try to import from a drive backup, I have to access each folder individually and no duplicates list.

I wonder if it's a bug?

As I say things like this dent my confidence in an apps ability to have library integirty - it's not the things that I can see are inconsistent it's the things that might be wrong that are not apparent!

AC

Nov 17, 2012 4:46 AM in response to Alley_Cat

I had copied the card over to 2 backup drive locations. Interestingly, there are 2 folders within DCIM as it had flipped a 10k image boundary so I have:

Ths looks to me like the card needs reformatting in the camera - do you have a second card to compare what the file system on the card should look like?

As I say things like this dent my confidence in an apps ability to have library integirty - it's not the things that I can see are inconsistent it's the things that might be wrong that are not apparent!

Sometimes I wonder too 👿

Nov 17, 2012 5:05 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

Ths looks to me like the card needs reformatting in the camera - do you have a second card to compare what the file system on the card should look like?

I think that's normal - I just have continuous numbering enabled for images, and as soon as I got to IMG_9999 in the 100EOS5D folder I believe it automatically places the next image, IMG_0001, in a new 101EOS5D folder to prevent overwriting lower numbered images in 100EOS5D if they were still there.

I generally delete all images by formatting the card in camera anyway after backing up to the computer, rather than deleting images as they are imported.

The camera also allows you to have custom folders and to swap between them within DCIM to store different kinds of content but I rarely do that.

I'm gradually trying to collate images from a variety of older drives onto a new 2TB internal drive (will keep the older copies, just trying to pull many years together). Will really then need to cull 80-90% of what I import.

AC

Nov 18, 2012 1:27 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

HAve you seen this Aperture 3: "Do not import duplicates" option does not work with video and audio files

Thanks, as Leonie suggests though as I'm up to date version wise that issue should be fixed.

I still wonder if it has something to do with the 2 subfolders in the DCIM folder on the card.

When I import via card reader it just takes the whole DCIM folder in one go whereas if I navigate to the copy of the DCIM folder on a hard drive I have to select each sub-folder separately and don't see the problem.

AC

Nov 18, 2012 4:05 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Let me catch up -- both stills and video are going to the same memory card? It is only the video files that are causing this problem?

Have you done any in-camera deleting of images or videos?

I just did a fresh test to confirm that Do Not Import Duplicates is being observed in 3.4.3 with video. But in my case the video files are sent to a different card than are the photos.

Ernie

Nov 18, 2012 5:00 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Ernie Stamper wrote:

Let me catch up -- both stills and video are going to the same memory card? It is only the video files that are causing this problem?

Have you done any in-camera deleting of images or videos?

I just did a fresh test to confirm that Do Not Import Duplicates is being observed in 3.4.3 with video. But in my case the video files are sent to a different card than are the photos.

Ernie

Yes both stills and video going to same card - it only has a single CF card slot. No secondary SD or other.

I suspect I may have deleted the odd shot or two via the camera controls which were definite non-keepers.

It's not a huge issue, just a little disconcerting.

Maybe I'll create a new library and see what happens with that. Have not done a rebuild yet as it migt take some time.

AC

Nov 18, 2012 8:11 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I cannot test with my Canon camera, that is at the office right now, but importing from the disk, from the lumix FZ28 card, from iPod and iPad - in all cases "do not import duplicates" works with referenced videos.

Tomorrow I can probably test with the Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 camera and try with a similar card as Alley Cat.

Frank, does not your camera have a similar file system structure on the card?

Nov 18, 2012 10:14 AM in response to Alley_Cat

I am not as concerned with the Library and need to rebuild until problems with some corruption on the memory card's directory has been eliminated which may have only found its way to the copy on the Hard Drive. Since videos can not be counted on to be the same length and duration, a deletion of something from the card in the camera can leave a space that will not accommodate the next video (or photograph) and bridging to else where on the card may be problematic. I would like to see you test this again, starting with a newly reformatted memory card.

Ernie

Nov 18, 2012 3:56 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

Hi Ernie

I've never encountered this before which is why it's baffling me (and I do delete the odd photo/video from time to time in camera).

Just to clarify I am not seeing this behaviour if I try to import the images from a disk based copy as they are recognised as already imported.

Could it be something to do with manually selecting images and importing rather than letting Aperture autosplit?

These messages/errors are appearing in console logs:

14/11/2012 12:15:49.785 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[188]: ([0x0-0xe00e].com.apple.Aperture[217]) Exited: Terminated: 15

16/11/2012 09:55:38.794 Aperture[7741]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

16/11/2012 09:55:38.794 Aperture[7741]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

16/11/2012 17:07:43.249 Aperture[7782]: The class 'RKListView' overrides the method identifier. This method is implemented by class 'NSView'

17/11/2012 09:35:18.054 Aperture[7782]: An instance 0x7fa71d5e8390 of class RKMaster was deallocated while key value observers were still registered with it. Observation info was leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:

<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x7fa71e8da910> (

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x7fa71d54f070: Observer: 0x7fa71e97c300, Key path: fileSize, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x0, Property: 0x7fa72ec5beb0>

)

17/11/2012 12:02:44.210 Aperture[12059]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

17/11/2012 12:02:44.210 Aperture[12059]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

17/11/2012 15:22:58.084 Aperture[13194]: RVS:__54-[NSRemoteSavePanel _runOrderingOperationWithContext:]_block_invoke_0319 : Timeout occured while waiting for the window

17/11/2012 15:23:06.569 Aperture[13194]: ImageIO: JPEG Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment

The card is a 32GB Sandisk and was not quite full.

I'll try creating a new Aperture library and seeing what happens when I import to that to see if it's reproducible before I reformat and fill it again.

AC

Nov 19, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Created a new library and set to import with auto splitting.

At the end when I went back to import there was a mixture of about 80 items to import not considered duplicates. Trying again tonight - 4 movs, after which I got a disk ejected prematurely type error and a worrying reset of my drobo and FW soundcard. I wonder if it's the 32GB card or card and reader combo - 4GB and 16GB compact flash have never given issues but I've had occasional lock ups with the 32GB in the past.

My MacPro seems to be behaving a bit oddly lately with respect to USB and Firewire connections,hope it's not the logic board.

AC

Little things dent your confidence...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.