Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering Lost Pages Document After iPad Battery Dies?

I finished a very important college project yesterday night. I saved it, it was finished, everything was great - then my iPad battery died. No big deal, I plugged it in to charge overnight. This morning, I started my iPad2 back up to see that many Pages documents I purposefully deleted yesterday have magically re-appeared and my college project is gone. I've shut down my iPad and restarted it (I usually just leave it on sleep with my Smart Cover and never shut it off). Unfortunately, nothing has changed and my project is still gone. Through the Pages app, I sent it from my iPad to my personal email address on Gmail, but it isn't in my inbox, spam, or any other folder that it could have been sent to. I know that I saved it on my iPad. Is there any way I could possibly recover this? Thank you for your help.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1, Pages 1.6.2 (612)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:34 AM

16 replies

Nov 17, 2012 6:06 AM in response to roseandzippin

Do you have iTunes wifi sync enabled?

I ask that because when you plugged the iPad in, it backs up to either icloud or pc. It's weird that it went away. Saved changes I am really surprised are not in icloud. I mean you could reset your iPad an restore the backup from last night. It could work..........I have a feeling it might be what your seeing now. Hmm

Nov 17, 2012 6:16 AM in response to roseandzippin

Well you can either do it over the air or plugged into your computer. I would plug it in to your computer, then select restore. When it asks you do you want to backup hit NO. Then go through the process. When your done you can either load a previously saved backup on your pc or on icloud when you log in on the start screen. Depending on what do you backup to(separate from wifi sync).

Nov 17, 2012 6:42 AM in response to roseandzippin

A sync could have been done when you plugged it in to charge(yes wall). So I was asking if you had that enabled because the document could then be on your computer....check your c drive. If not then trying a restore and restoring a pervious backup could help you recover it. Depending on the last time when you charged it.

Example. If you backup to icloud, every time you plug you ipad in to charge regardless if its a wall or not, a backup is stored on icloud. So you charged it last night...there's 1 backup. The 2nd backup will be the time you charged your iPad before that. All data that will be restored on your iPad will be what was on there at the time of that backup. So if you didn't start your project until last night, I'm sure it's not going to be included on any backups.

You do not need to sync right now.

Check your c drive

Check www.icloud.com

Check pages again after shutting down your iPad and turning it back on

If its not there after all of that, then I'm afraid it might be gone. Strange yes

Nov 17, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Laxman25

If you want to go the backup route. Pug your iPad in to iTunes, stop the auto sync by hitting X at the top window where it's syncing. Select the iPad on the left. Under the summary tab select restore. When prompted if you want to backup select NO. Then your iPad will restore. When its done restoring...(depending on if you backup to your computer or icloud) you computer will ask after if you want to restore a backup. Select yes and the previous backup. Look at the dates.

Icloud..from the welcome screen go through the options till you come to icloud. Log in and you then can select what backup from icloud you want to restore from on the iPad. Check the dates again.

Recovering Lost Pages Document After iPad Battery Dies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.