Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi connection dropping occasionally in Mountain Lion

Information about my computer:
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" that came with Mountain Lion, running the latest updates (as far as I know).

Problem:

Every now and then my wi-fi stops working. It appears to happen at totally random moments (since I am not doing anything specific when it happens) this can take from 15 minutes to a day. It can always (thus far) be turned back on by turning the wi-fi off and on again. But this is only a temporary fix. A few times it turned back on when I opened iStumbler, for some reason. It never automatically starts working again (as far as I know). Other computers in the house using the same wi-fi do not have these problems, including a (older) macbook pro.

I believe it has also happened when I am at university, so I suppose it's got to do with the macbook rather than the network.

When the wi-fi stops working the wi-fi icon in the menubar doesn't change and still shows a perfect connection.

User uploaded file

According to iStumbler the signal strength is usually at 50% (can be 5% more or less at time).

I have brought my macbook in for repair and asked whether they could also fix this issue before. They streamed videos for hours (I believe they said 48) and concluded that nothing was wrong with the wi-fi. But it still occurs every now and then.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 15"

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:12 AM

5 replies

Wi-Fi connection dropping occasionally in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.