Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

to change a sound in Finder (not Alert)

There is a (to me) annoying boing sound whenever I move a file to a new location, in the Finder. Where do I go to change the annoying boing to some other sort of sound. I don't mind the feedback, I just don't like the boing. I know where to find alert choices (sys prefs/sound/etc) - not there. Have also looked at Finder prefs - not there. Any clues? It's only on my powerbook g4, OS 10.4.6, I'm the only user so I don't log in and out.

By contrast, there's a sound when I put something into the trash, sort of a papery sound. That's not annoying. Wherever that sound control is, I bet the file-moved-boing sound is there too.

powerbook G4

Posted on Apr 20, 2006 7:15 AM

22 replies

Apr 20, 2006 1:50 PM in response to Laura Wilson

Well, I did a search and the only items I found are in a rather peculiar place:

"/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ScreenReader.framework/Versions/A/Resources/S ounds"

The "crumpled paper" sound ain't there though, so these probably aren't where the sounds we're looking for are stored. I strongly suspected that they were buried in a resource file, but a look at the most likely suspects, like Finder.rsrc, didn't turn up anything. So ya got me.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Apr 20, 2006 2:23 PM in response to Francine Schwieder

Hi, Francine,

The sound of the boing ( spring like sound) is controlled in Sys Preferences in Sound as I posted to Miriam earlier.
There is no way, I could find to alter it, only enabled or disabled.

It is the sound files make being moved about the desk top or into other folders or windows, moving items to the trash makes a standard trashing sound,deleting the trash sounds like shredding to me. the boing seems to be only for the files being moved about.Perhaps there is a terminal command that can stop the Boing?

Regards,Eme: )

 Power PC G4 (3.3) ♥ iMac Flat Panel 10.3.9 ] 15 Alum.PowerBook Tiger Mac OS X (10.4.6) AEBS & iMac Intel Core Duo 2gb

Message was edited by: Eme

Apr 20, 2006 3:03 PM in response to Eme

Hi Eme, every sound your computer makes must be present SOMEWHERE as a file or in a file. You can use System Prefs, as you pointed out, to turn off all the user sounds. But those sounds still exist as some sort of individual sound files. The question is what sort of sound files, and where are they? You don't need a Terminal command, you just need to find out where that boing is and replace it with something else. For instance, the new mail sound is an aif file inside the Mail application's Resource folder. Unfortunately I've not been able to locate the boing. I just now found some more sounds, including the "paper crumple" one of the trash, but still no luck on the "boing" when you move a file. Here's the latest location for system sounds I've discovered:

"/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds"

Thus far I've found 62 different sounds in the System folder and its sub-folders, but not that annoying boing...
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Apr 20, 2006 4:43 PM in response to Francine Schwieder

Hi Francine,

Thanks for the reply back,Yes, I understand there must be a file someplace for all sounds, makes perfect sense.
Perhaps do not need one I thought a Terminal command would be so easy if there was one for this Boing sound.

So it must be someplace related to the finder because it is all the finder windows & desktop in specific that it is heard.Were would that be I wonder.

"/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds"

Thus far I've found 62 different sounds in the System folder and its sub-folders, but not that annoying boing...

Francine, that a lot of folders! if you do not mind me asking, how do you check these files for the sound, get info ?
Regards,
Eme

 Power PC G4 (3.3) ♥ iMac Flat Panel 10.3.9 ] 15 Alum.PowerBook Tiger Mac OS X (10.4.6) AEBS & iMac Intel Core Duo 2gb

Apr 20, 2006 5:13 PM in response to Eme

For anyone who wants to look for little treasures you'll need a copy of the free EasyFind search utility:

http://www.grunenberg.com/mainmenu.html

Next you need to know what is the most likely extension for the file you are looking for. These days most system level sounds are aif files, which can have either the extension of aiff or aif. I started with aiff as the thing to search for in the search box of EasyFind, since that is the extension used by the files in the alert sounds. I should have used just plain aif, since it will find more files, including those with aiff. You then choose where you want to search, I selected the System folder. And you check the conditions you want--I checked Only Files, All Words, and Case-Insensitive, Package Contents, and Invisible Files and Folders. Then click the search icon (the magnifying glass). EasyFind returns a list of files, and includes a Where field showing the location. If you control click on it you can select Reveal in Finder, and the Finder will open a window displaying the file inside its folder. This is handy since some of the locations are not usually visible in the Finder as they are located inside of various sorts of folders that the Finder displays as one kind of package or another and you have to control click and select Show Package Contents to get inside of them.

You'll be amazed at the things you can find this way. Try it on your Applications folder then click the Kind column to get all the aif and aiff files together. If you find a sound you just love and want to use somewhere else, as alert for instance, click on the file in the EasyFind list, hold down the option key and drag it to your Desktop.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

to change a sound in Finder (not Alert)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.