Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound

I have a problem with my iPhone 4 that I've been trying to figure out for a few months but have been unsuccessful so far.

All of a sudden, I lost sound on most applications. The only time the iPhone 4 would make a sound was when you called it. It would ring.

I can also go to Settings > Sounds > Ringtone and then select different ringtones. The iPhone would play those ringtones.

But that's it. Any other native or third-party applications will have no sound.

I can plug in a headphone and hear sound. But the iPhone 4's speakers will otherwise not work.

This happened when the iPhone had iOS 5. I tried to reset the phone to factory settings. I also tried to restore it but the problem was not solved.

When I upgraded to iOS 6, the problem persisted. In iOS 6, I tried to reset the phone. I also restore it but had no luck.

I even tried to jailbreak it but still wasn't able to solve the problem.

I mean, it may be a hardware problem but why will the phone ring if the speaker is completely broken? Or why can I make it sound by going to the settings and playing with ringtones?

Any ideas?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:39 AM

1 reply

No Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.