Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if my image resolution is too low now that the yellow triangle warning is gone?

I am creating a book in iPhoto 11 for the first time. In older versions, I would get a yellow triangle indicating my image quality was too low for that size image. Based on other threads, it looks like iPhoto no longer gives the warning. What is the best way to know if the image will print okay? Is there a workaround so I can check the quality of the image prior to printing out the book?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:32 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2012 12:26 PM in response to mganner

I noticed that there's not resolution waring also. Create a PDF file of the book and look at the pages at full sized with Preview and determine if the photos are sharp enough for you.

I ran a test with two images, one 4000 x 3000 pixels and the other 230 x 200 pixels in a 2 photo per page book page and then created a pdf of the book, Modern Lines theme. This is a screenshot of the page in Preview at View ➙ View Full Sized:

User uploaded file

This screenshot is of the same photo in a different 2 photo per page layout in the same theme. It does look more like I expected:

User uploaded file

Right click on the image and select Show in New Window from the Contextual menu. I'm really surprised the first example of the small image looked as good as it did. I expected a very pixelated image like the second example but iPhoto upsized it rather nicely. So iPhoto can upsize a small photo to some degree but I don't recommend relying on it for such small images. And it is a very, very, very small image. Soif your image is reasonably large you should be OK. But check it in the PDF file.

OT

How do I know if my image resolution is too low now that the yellow triangle warning is gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.