Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So my ipod classic, which I aquired almost a year ago, is giving me the big red X with the apple support link. The promlem is, the ipod won't open disk mode and I thus can't restore the ipod like recommended.

What gives, Apple?

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:57 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2012 1:17 PM in response to MaskedWizard

If you are unable to get the iPod into Disk Mode to restore it and instead get the red X symbol, it's a very good indication of a damaged hard drive inside of your iPod. This means you'll need to take or send your iPod in for repair or replacement.

You can choose to have Apple do an out of warranty exchange for a refurbished one of the same generation/model and capacity, or you can have a third party service actually replace just the damaged HD.

Here is Apple's repair pricing: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/

B-rock

So my ipod classic, which I aquired almost a year ago, is giving me the big red X with the apple support link. The promlem is, the ipod won't open disk mode and I thus can't restore the ipod like recommended.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.