Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp - Wireless Mouse and Keyboard

Hi
I was just wondering if i could use boot camp with intel imac if i had a wireless keyboard and mouse. The requirements say that a USB keyboard and mouse is needed. I was wondering if anyone is using wireless keyboard and mouse with boot camp. Thanks in advance
Philip

17" imac G5 Rev B 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.2), 1Gb RAM

Posted on Apr 20, 2006 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2006 8:44 AM

No. You need to have a USB keyboard and mouse as you can't install the BT drivers for windows until you have it installed. Even then, I don't think there's been much success running the wireless keyboard and mouse from windows.
10 replies

Apr 20, 2006 9:20 AM in response to jwoods5000

Not correct. I did the complete install with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The firmware has low level basic support for bluetooth and it recognized my keyboard and mouse immediately. Once have finished loading xp and installed the apple drivers, you will need a usb mouse. Once the apple bluetooth driver is loaded, you won't beable to pair your keyboard and mouse until you have gone to the bluetooth control panel in xp. All you need is the mouse to do the pairing. Just have it discovery your mouse and keyboard and select to pair without using the code authentication. The caveat to this is that your keyboard loses it pairing when you start up and you will need to turn if off then on to repair. It might loss the pairing later on if you do not use the keyboard for a while. Just turn it off and on again and it will re-pair.

Glor

Apr 21, 2006 7:25 AM in response to MykieMac

To clarify you really DO need a USB keyboard and mouse for installing XP and the drivers CD bootcamp creates.

Once this is all done and dusted you can remove the USB keyboard and mouse and store it away for the next time.

You should then find success using the bluetooth set up utility in the control panel bit.

If you have an apple wireless keyboard you need a USB one anyway incase you need to start from CD or do other start up routines, this is a fatal flaw in apples software/hardware thing as they are always promoting the sales of their wireless stuff but fail spectacularly to mention that in many instances you need a USB keyboard.

May 4, 2006 2:28 PM in response to Glorfindeal

I got the install done fine with the wireless keyboard and USB mouse... however, the problem now is that when I shut down and try to use the option key to toggle between systems, the keyboard shuts down and does not recognize the option key until the computer is up and running again in the previous OS. Is this a problem with my keyboard (it is new to me, and I have no experience with what to expect from it), or a problem with Bootcamp?

Boot Camp - Wireless Mouse and Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.