Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export .band file from Windows PC to an iOS device?

I want to send a .band file from My PC to an iPad with Garageband.

iTunes wont let me drag and drop the file into my iPad.

.band files aren't recognized by my PC.

I can't find this question/solution anywhere on the interwebs.

Background:

My friend, living 100s of miles away, has a Mac with Garageband. He is sending me a project and I want to recut the song, and I thought I could do that on my iPad. I just bought Garageband a few days ago for iOS (so I'm alittle new to GB). I don't have a mac; just an old PC.

Would these work:

1.Can I import each of the seperate tracks from iTunes into 1 project on the iPad? I don't know how.

2.Should my friend email it,uncompressed, to me and open it from my iPad? Would that work, regardless of how big the file is? (it wont work with dropbox)

3. Could I do this on a Mac that doesn't have Garageband? Will I need iTunes on that computer?

4. Could I download something on my PC to make it possible to drag the file into iTunes?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1, paired with a Windows XP laptop.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:22 PM

1 reply

Nov 17, 2012 1:42 PM in response to BvsK

GarageBand on a Mac and GarageBand on an iPad are very different applications. You can share GarageBand projects created on an iPad to your Mac by syncing with iTunes or sharing it to iCloud, but GarageBand projects created on a Mac are not necessarily compatible with GarageBand on iPad. There is no official way to upload these projects to an iPad. If you create a project on your iPad, your friend could finish it on his mac, if you use the same iCloud account, but the other way around is not supported. See this discussion on GarageBand and PC:

Re: Can I drag a .band file created on my iPad BACK into GarageBand to edit again?

Export .band file from Windows PC to an iOS device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.