I learned from the Apple Store that to use our new iPad, I needed a version of iTunes of 10 or higher. I was running iTunes ver. 184.108.40.206. Disclaimer: when opening iTunes (ver 220.127.116.11) I would always get a dialog box saying something along the lines of "Windows system components required for iTunes are missing" but I could just click on Continue and iTunes opened and worked fine. I could not find which Windows components were missing. I am running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. 32-bit The desktop has a 1.8 Ghz Intel Celeron Processsor. 1.99 Gb of RAM
I upgraded from the old version of iTunes to ver. 10.7.0.21. The download and install all went smoothly and there were no error messages. When the install was done, iTunes didn't open. I closed everything, restarted and tried again - no luck. When I click on iTunes, the hourglass appears for several seconds and then disappears. Nothing more happens.
I went to the Apple Support Communities site and read a number of discussions with the same problem. Here's what I've tried so far, and the results.
1. I opened the Windows Task Manager, clicked on Processes and then tried to open iTunes. iTunes appeared briefly in Task Manager - Processes (iTunes.exe) and then disappeared. Nothing more.
2. I read of a problem with Data Extraction Protection, so I added iTunes and iTunes Helper to the Data Extraction Protection exception list. No change - no iTunes. Reversed that change.
3. I found, read, and followed the knowledge base article "Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP" (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925) The only thing I noticed was that QuickTime was not downloaded or installed. I had not checked the box to make iTunes the default audio player, but I don't know if that is why. After the download and install (ver 10.7 again) iTunes still did not open. Same hourglass performance as before.
4. I downloaded and installed QuickTime (ver 18.104.22.168) restarted the desktop and tried iTunes - still no luck.
5. I turned off my anti-virus software (Avast) and tried iTunes - no luck. Restarted Avast
6. I turned off ZoneAlarm and tried iTunes - still no luck. Restarted ZoneAlarm
I am now out of ideas and still cannot open iTunes. I fear I actually have some missing or corrupt Windows component (virus infection over a year ago), but have no idea how to narrow down or identify and fix the problem. If anyone has already solved this problem or has good ideas for a solution, please let me know. Sorry for being so long-winded but I felt providing all the information was necessary. Thanks!