Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I no longer export alpha channels in the new FCPX update (10.0.6)?

While the new update is rich with new goodies- I am having some issues doing some things. My main concern is the inability to export alpha channels in the 10.0.6 updated version of FCPX.

I followed the following steps, same as before the update.

1. I used the Keying effect to remove the greenscreen and did some cleanup using the "sample color" refining tool.
  2. I cropped and resized the clip so that the actor is the correct size for my clip.
  3. Now it looks great in FCPX, except that I now need to put that footage into Motion 5 and do some motion tracking and match move.
  4. I export the keyed clip as Apple Pro Res 4444
  5. Now when I import that file into Motion 5 everything that is supposed to be transparant is black!

Is there an additional setting in the new version that I need to fix in order to export alphas? Is there a new way to do it?

I am operating Mountain Lion, OSX Version 10.8.2 with a 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor.

Thank you so much! This is a key element in almost all the projects I do and now I am stuck!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:14 PM

9 replies

Nov 17, 2012 2:45 PM in response to HeatherEve

Go out to the project level ; in the inspector, click on the wrench icon at the bottom of the palette and in the dropdown dialog make sure your project is ProRes 4444 and NOT ProRes 422 for the "Render Format" (bottom line). Even if you export as 4444, if your project is not set up for the transparency, FCPX will export what you think is transparency as black background. I think everybody assumes projects are automatically set up as 4444 (that's actually Motion). Unless you make that custom decision, FCPX sets up the default as 422 (not even HQ!).

Nov 18, 2012 8:33 PM in response to fox_m

You got me curious so had to test and validate some of the above, forgive me if I go a little OT in the process.

Have you set your background to checkerboard, I find psycologically this makes a difference, though in exporting it does not...

User uploaded file

screen grab below, from 422 timeline, showing original, exported 444 and then imported file comp'd in and scaled down for differentiation in FCPX, note that the project render parameter is actually set to 422 NOT 444 as fox_m suggested, it still works.

User uploaded file

This one below shows the above scenario exported 444, with background set to black in pref's, note the overlap showing transparency, again in FCPX. This is purely to illustrate that the checkerboard and black backgrounds are not relevant, only that the 444 on export is relevant.

User uploaded file

Hopefully this illustrates that cropping and 444 exports are working.

Tony

Nov 29, 2012 1:10 PM in response to HeatherEve

If you need transparency, only two codecs can be used: ProRes 4444 or Animation, and you can't export Animation from FCPX, but you can from Motion 4 (and some other apps). That said: you probably will not want the Proxy footage FCPX exports (1/4 resolution) for any project in Motion. That's not to be confused (and I'm sure it often is) with ProRes Proxy, which IS a viable codec to use in Motion projects. The difference is: ProRes Proxy is a full resolution codec (with a decently high *bandwidth*) that uses higher compression than its ProRes siblings; FCPX proxy footage uses a ProRes codec, but the video resolution is decreased by 1/2 for each dimension (1080 becomes 960x540) and therefore 1/2 x 1/2 decrease on both dimensions is a total of 1/4 of the total pixels used to represent a frame... not what you'd want for a "finished" Motion project.

HTH

Why can I no longer export alpha channels in the new FCPX update (10.0.6)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.