Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lose of formatting when saving Pages file as .doc

Why do I lose some formatting when saving as a .doc file? I spend considerable time creating a beautiful document and only to loose some of the formatting when sending to someone who only has Word. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks for assistane,

Nancy

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:50 PM

No, you're not really doing anything wrong. The translation from one program to another is not perfect. Features are different & those that are similar are often implemented in vastly different ways.

If you want someone who does not use Pages to see your document as you intended, export or print it as a PDF before sending.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2012 7:50 PM in response to flysafely

No, you're not really doing anything wrong. The translation from one program to another is not perfect. Features are different & those that are similar are often implemented in vastly different ways.

If you want someone who does not use Pages to see your document as you intended, export or print it as a PDF before sending.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2012 9:15 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

I created a 2 page table document:

1st, in the .doc format, it is now 3 pages instead of 2.

2nd: the spacing between headers and table is different (which caused the 3rd page)

3rd: the text box I inserted after the header on the first page now is above the header yet text box i inserted after the header on the 2nd page stayd in the correct place.

Any thoughts? Thank you,
Nancy

Nov 18, 2012 6:29 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter, thanks for the offer of help. I can't send the file due to sensitivity of the material. However, I did go and look to change the setting line spacing to "Exactly." When I have the need to use Pages, I am often teaching myself as I go along, i.e., video tutorials at Apple.com, google, this forum, etc, as I did when creating this table /document. Taking yr advice, I went to make that change but I do not see anywhere any setting for spacing that gives me choices that included "exactly." Would you provide me with the pathway, please. Thanks very much.
Nancy

Lose of formatting when saving Pages file as .doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.