Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is so slow to download films vie ITunes

why is so slow to download films vie ITunes/

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:24 PM

Slow relative to the speed of light? Slow relative to the weathering of granite mountains? What is slow?

8 replies

Nov 17, 2012 5:07 PM in response to cloney25

Your download speed is only as fast as the slowest connection between you and Apple. You can try using speed test web sites to see how things are in general for your connection but it is hard to trace where exactly slow connections are occurring. If you have the IP address of servers you can ping them to test speed but in the end there is nothing you can do unless it it something at your end.

May 12, 2013 9:45 PM in response to cloney25

I have a (tested) 100Mbps link, and downloads from Apple - and ONLY Apple - take forever (like 2Hr or more before a movie will even play) Limnos - yes, that is pretty much the speed of weathering granite mountains. Yes the speed will only be as fast as the slowest link between me and Apple - and that slowest link seems to be APPLE.

The above link says that a 3.5-4.5GB HD movie should come down in 54-72 minutes at 5Mbps, but of course it should be able to play earlier than that as the playback catches up to the buffer. In fact for a 90 minute movie, it should be able to start playing after only a few minutes as the download should happen faster than the playback. At 5Mpbs. I'd be happy with that sort of QoS, but I have a link capable of 100Mbps as proven on speedtest.net, and yet I have to crawl along waiting for 2 hours before I can even START to play a movie!

it seems to me that apple has insufficient infrastructure to support downloads at a reasonable speed.

why is so slow to download films vie ITunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.