Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Problem.

Hi

I am totally new at Mac, and at Aperture. I moved manually my original pictures folders that I had used in Aperture for project in an attempt to classiify them better. I realized my mistake, when Aperture could not locate them. So I used: 'Relocate original' and also 'Locate referenced file' in an attempt to fix my problem. Now what a surprise when I found all my projects photos on my desk top.

I use an external drive both for my librairy and for my original pictures.

Questions:

1- Can I safely delete the photos on my desk top?

2- What did i do wrong?

3- I wish to move my library from my external drive to my macbook pro because it is to slow ... how do i do that?

thank you

claudem99

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), I use an external hard drive

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:23 PM

12 replies

Nov 18, 2012 12:31 AM in response to claudem99

claudem99,

What is your Aperture version?

And how did you import your image files into Aperture? From what you describe, I assume you imported your image files as "referenced" originals, (Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images), and Aperture did not import the image files, but references them in their original location.

1- Can I safely delete the photos on my desk top?

No, better not, not until you consolidated your Aperture library. These may be the only copies of your image files.

2- What did i do wrong?

When you are moving referenced referenced files, never use the Finder, let Aperture move the files with "Relocate Original files". Otherwise Aperture will not be able to keep track of the location.

3- I wish to move my library from my external drive to my macbook pro because it is to slow ... how do i do that?

Does your whole library fit onto the disk space on your Mac's system drive? How large is your library? And is currently your library on the external, or only the referenced images?

I think the first thing you should do, would be to consolidate your library in one place. Assuming your library is on the external and you have plenty of space, do the following:

• Check, if your backup of your library is current, before you start reorganizing your library.
  • Select all images at once (from the Photos View) and use the command "File > Consolidate Originals". Opt for "Move", rather than "Copy" the originals. This will move all original image files into your Aperture library, and you have them all in one place.
  • After consolidating check, if really all images are now managed in your library. You can do this with a filter: Select again the "Photos" view and set the Browser search field to the added rule "File status is referenced". No images should show up, but you should see all images with "File status is managed"
  • Are there still images with broken references and missing originals? Check the file status for "File status is offline" or "File status is missing". For all images with broken references do a "reconnect" like you have done before. Then consolidate them too.
  • Inspect the images on your Desktop. Can you find them in your Aperture library, and are they now managed? Only then can you delete them, but 'd make a backup before you do that.
  • Now you can copy the library to your MBP by dragging the library there using the Finder. This will result in a managed library on your MBP. But if you want to keep the library referenced, relocate the images from your older projects to a selected folder on your MBP or your external drive.
  • Checking the File Status:

User uploaded file

Just in case you want again to use the external with Aperture, make sure it is formatted correctly:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Regards

Léonie

Nov 18, 2012 5:07 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie.

(That sound like a French name to me)

I also realise I was not thourough enough with my explanations.

Thank you for your care and altruism about my problem. TRULY.

First the anwer to your questions and a few precisions so you can help me better.

1- my version is 3.4.3

2- I imported my files with the arrow (Import) into the aperture.

2b. You are correct I imported my photos as referenced images. I did put my original pictures on my external drive then I imported them. But i had no idea my library was also on my external drive. I beleive that this has made for a very slow working experience. am I correct?

2c.I have thousands of pics, and so after having put a few thousands on my external drive and reading a starting manual, I proceded as I was eiger to experience the software. Then I transfered more pictures from an other computer to my HD. In doing so I realized I was not very wise in the way I had classified them as original pictures on the HD so I proceeded to reorganize them manually without the help of Aperture. Of course Aperture could not find them. This is when I did the 2 procedures I explained in the first question yesterday.

3- My library is at its infancy stage. I worked for about 4 projects (about 100 photos). But my entire original photos are 5 Gig big. (they have not all been imported yet into aperture) So yes my librarie would fit on my system drive, I have still 400 GB for space.

4- Yes my library is on my External HD. It is on /public/shared pictures/aperture library.aplibrary

5- both my library and my originals photos are on my external HD. (How i had intended it to go was to put my original photos on the external HD and to import them as references images into my system drive)

6- I do not see aperture being saved by time machine. Perhaps it is because it is on my external drive?

6b. Further more I see 2 libraries if I do /file/switch to library/ others... I see one that says actual (the one with my actual projects) and an other one that is empty. (I tried it). Perhaps that happened when I froze the computer.

6c. It seem that I must 'mount' my good library each time I reboot.

6d. My external drive IS Mac compatible. WD 2T life book from western digital.

I have done my best to anwer your questions. Now i am going to go and do what you have suggested in your first answer. I will get back to you after.

Is skype an option between you and me? That would help tremendously. Writting all this is long for both of us and I am not sure I am being clear enough as I am not english myself. I fear doing more dammage. If you accept the skype idea then look for 'ebrzydulka' in canada. You are 6hours ahead on me.

once again thank you so much

Claude

Nov 18, 2012 5:33 AM in response to claudem99

OK This is what i did. I am reporting to you Léonie before I do MORE damage 😕 .

there is a backed up library in time machine. But it is the one that is in the /finder/picture/ libr....This library is empty. I opened aperture from clicking on that folder.

but in the /finder/picture folder there is a:

'desktop folder/Primary display' with all my pictures in it.

'ipod photo cache'

considering that there is no backup of my external drive in time machine, but that my library is in it's infancy, I would proceed to doing your recommendations. I beleive I have nothing else to try before attempting something.

Do you agree?

claude.

Nov 18, 2012 6:33 AM in response to claudem99

Hi Claude,

(That sound like a French name to me)

yes, I think the origin is french, but it is also very popular in Germany. 🙂

But i had no idea my library was also on my external drive.

That is unusual - by default the library will be created in the "Pictures" folder. At some point you must have accidentally created a new library.

I beleive that this has made for a very slow working experience. am I correct?

The library itself should be on a fast drive with a fast connection - otherwise it will be slow. Your WD Netbook drive is a network drive, right? This will be slow, unless the drive has a very fast network connection. Check the disk formatting with Disk Utility. Mac-compatible does not necessarily mean the correct file system. If the format is not "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" your library is in danger on that drive. Aperture needs the "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" formatting, even if other programs can cope with other formats, see:

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

If your Network drive cannot be formatted MacOS X Extended, you may store the originals there, but not the library itself.

(How i had intended it to go was to put my original photos on the external HD and to import them as references images into my system drive)

SInce you have enough space on your system drive, this could be accomplished by directly copying the "Actual" Library to your system drive - the default place would be the "Pictures" folder. Rename it to something different from the default name, so you can easily recognize it.

Then you can do the procedure to consolidate the library directly on the internal disk - that is safer than doing it on a network volume, that may lose the connection and need remounting at a critical moment.

So your steps would be:

• rename the library and copy the library to your system drive by dragging it using the Finder
  • consolidating all referenced images
  • checking for images that need reconnecting and reconnect them and consolidate them
  • create a backup, before importing further images.

6- I do not see aperture being saved by time machine. Perhaps it is because it is on my external drive?

Check the TIme Machine settings. You may have excluded your external drive or it was not mounted. Or does Time Machine backup to the same drive? Then this will not be included.

Then you should use a different drive for your Aperture originals, otherwise they will not be backed up.

Is skype an option between you and me

this will not work, because I cannot guarantee to be available at fixed times, sorry.

/finder/picture/ libr....This library is empty.

That must be the default library created by Aperture, whenever your actual library is not mounted.

'ipod photo cache'

This is created to sync your images to your IOS devices using iTunes. It contains only previews, not the full size images.

considering that there is no backup of my external drive in time machine

Seeing you have many GB of images on that drive, it is urgent that you try to check the Time Machine settings.

Post back, when you have more questions; otherwise let me hear, when you have moved the Aperture library to the internal drive and proceed with consolidating it.

Greetings to Canada.

I have never been to the eastern part of that beautiful country, only to the western states from Toronto to Vancouver.

Léonie

Nov 18, 2012 12:38 PM in response to claudem99

Claude,

this looks like a permissions problem. Aperture cannot read the original files because of permissions problems, or Aperture cannot write into the transferred library.

Is your Aperture library now on your internal drive? Then I'd try to repair it, before you go on:

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Try first to repair the permissions, then repair the library, and rebuild, if necessary.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 18, 2012 1:28 PM in response to léonie

Sorry my friend.

thank you for your dedication though.

I have one library on my system drive (the empty one) and I have one other library on my external drive (the one which I can see my 5 projects when I open it)

I did all the 3 procedures but i still get the same message when I attempt to consolidate/ move.

but when I ask aperture to locate the originals Aperture (the one where I can see the projects) tells me. They are loose in Pictures folder. If I attempt to see the photos in Picture folder they do open in Preview.

Now what?

I hope i did not exhaust your resources... :-)

You could come to Canada! i would trade your stay for fixing everything 😎

Claude.

Nov 18, 2012 1:38 PM in response to claudem99

I have one library on my system drive (the empty one) and I have one other library on my external drive (the one which I can see my 5 projects when I open it)

Try first to copy your current library with the five projects to your system drive, then to consolidate. You may have problems to write to the external drive when consolidating. It may be easier, when your library is on the system drive. Rename it before moving, so that it does not have the same name as your empty library. Then try again to consolidate.

You could come to Canada! i would trade your stay for fixing everything 😎

One day I'll come for sure.There are quite a few miles of the Trans Canada Highway that I have not yet seen 😁

Nov 18, 2012 2:17 PM in response to claudem99

I move the ext. D library to the system library and renamed it.

It did consolidate SUCCESSSSSSS......

BUT it consolidated into the new name library.

what i find funny is that I only have about 100 photos in my 5 projects, but consolidation transfered 1,800 files!

ok... I did more of your very knowledgeable procedures. I feel exited and scared at the same time....

I think we did good.... filters are all fine. No more photos on my desk top.

Am I in the clear?

Should I keep my photos as referenced or managed?

I am soooo happy now.

Claude.

Nov 18, 2012 2:28 PM in response to claudem99

Great! Congratulations, Claude. All your projects there? And no images missing?

Am I in the clear?

Should I keep my photos as referenced or managed?

How is your disk space situation? While you are still exploring Aperture and have enough disk space, I'd stay with a managed library. You may want to experiment with a small second library, if referencing works with your external drive. Once you are sure, that it is save to put the originals there and you are sure, the backup for this drive is working with Time Machine, it will be safe to go referenced.

Then I'll sign off for tonight. It is getting late here.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 18, 2012 2:37 PM in response to claudem99

All the projects are there.

all the photos also.

back up for the external HD doesn't exist. I woulld need an other Ext HD in order to do so.

but it is formatted os-x.

should I delete the other library which is also in the picture folder? (I don't use it) (it is empty)

thank you sooooo much Léonie. I truly appreciate your dedication, thouroughness, patience, and kindness.

You are invited.

should you want to keep contact I am on facebook Claude Massicotte send request.

big thanks.... good night

Claude.

Aperture Problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.