Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderport to ethernet slow internet connection

Hello,

I just bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connection cable for my MBA Mid 2012 and I'm experiencing slow internet connection. I have TWC 50mbs service and routinely test at around 55mbs on Speedtest.net. I just plugged in the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet cable and now it's down to a trickle at around 1-2mbs down and up. Ping times are good, just the throughput is slow.

Is this normal? Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:03 PM

I had a similar issue with wifi with my MBA, only getting 1-2 Mbps down and 700kbps up with Comcast. I went into Preferences, deleted my wifi connection, rebooted and reestablished my home wifi network. Now it pops around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. Maybe you should try the same thing with your ethernet connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2012 9:03 PM in response to NimravusHSSR

I had a similar issue with wifi with my MBA, only getting 1-2 Mbps down and 700kbps up with Comcast. I went into Preferences, deleted my wifi connection, rebooted and reestablished my home wifi network. Now it pops around 25 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. Maybe you should try the same thing with your ethernet connection.

Nov 17, 2012 10:29 PM in response to NimravusHSSR

What are you getting via wireless on that same connection? If wireless is just as slow then it's not an adapter problem. If wireless is significant faster that would definitely indicate a potential adapter issue but you need to establish a baseline. Preferrably not a speed test through a website, either. An actual file to serve as your "test subject."

Nov 18, 2012 2:50 PM in response to NimravusHSSR

Thank you both for your quick help! I figured out it was my Network setting, I had to set it to manual and to 1000baseT or something like that with full duplex. Now I am getting full throughput. I think for some reason, the "Automatic" setting wasn't working with my Switch (DLink Gigabit 8 port switch). When I went to manual, it worked.

Your response clicked in my head to check the hardware not focus on the internet speed. Thanks!

Thunderport to ethernet slow internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.