Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic does not work with Bose Sounddock anymore

I have a Bose Sound Dock that I've used with my iPod classic 80 GB for some time now. It always worked fine. Recently when I dock the iPod, it plays for about 5 seconds and then cuts off.

The Bose works just fine when docked with my iPod Shuffle. Firmware on classic is 1.1.2. Wondering if the firmware is causing conflicts? Anyone has any experience with similar issues? I've checked the Bose inside out and cannot find any problems.

If it is firmware, anyone know where I can get previous firmware versions?

S/N on IPod classic, .xxxxxxAYMV

Thanks!

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:26 AM

I'm not so sure it's the firmware, unless it is something you recently upgraded and marked the start of the issues you were having with trying to play the iPod on the Bose dock. Have you tried resetting both the dock and the iPod to see if that does any good?

For the Bose dock, simply unplug it from power for about 30 seconds or more and then plug it back in. To reset the iPod, press and hold both the Select/Center and Menu buttons together long enough for the Apple logo to appear.

B-rock

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2012 7:26 AM in response to spyrosn

I'm not so sure it's the firmware, unless it is something you recently upgraded and marked the start of the issues you were having with trying to play the iPod on the Bose dock. Have you tried resetting both the dock and the iPod to see if that does any good?

For the Bose dock, simply unplug it from power for about 30 seconds or more and then plug it back in. To reset the iPod, press and hold both the Select/Center and Menu buttons together long enough for the Apple logo to appear.

B-rock

Nov 21, 2012 8:37 AM in response to planb77

Thanks for the info B-rock. You are correct, there really has not been a recent update although I honestly haven't paid attention to the iPod's updates all that well.

I've reset and restored the iPod and also unplugged the Bose multiple times. No luck. The iPod docks fine with my computer and plays fine there or through headphones. Just not through the Bose. Even though the Bose works fine from the same connector with the shuffle (but with the shuffle adaptor).

If there is anything else you can think of I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Nov 21, 2012 12:20 PM in response to planb77

Yeah I did. All they said was to send in the Bose for repair at minimum of $99 plus s&h....or I could buy a new model at a reduced price (great selling angle!).

Well we decided to take the iPod in to the local Apple store and they will do a diagnostic for $20. I guess that's the cheapest route to see if there's anything wrong with it.

Nov 22, 2012 11:51 AM in response to spyrosn

Just so you know, my iPod Classic also uses firmware version 1.1.2PC and on the odd ocassions that my Bose Sound Dock plays up (no sound), unplugging it from power and re-powering it always does the trick.

However, you do need to leave the Bose unplugged, as B-rock suggests, for 30 seconds. (I confess, I don't usually wait that long, but if all else fails, go for 30 seconds - at least!)

Jun 20, 2014 3:53 AM in response to the fiend

I restored my ipod twice, unplugged the bose dock try different docks... clean it, the good old snapping etc... and nothing... I would like to downgrade the software version... but don't know if I can...

Jun 20, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Community User

A Restore was probably over the top. A Reset was suggested.

Pescaito wrote:

I would like to downgrade the software version... but don't know if I can...

To my knowledge, none of the Classics have experienced firmware updates for a long time (certainly not the 1.1.2 PC version that I have) and nor has the Bose dock. In fact, I am not aware of how to update the Bose, and I own and use one of those too.

What is more likely is that one of the connections in the connector on the Bose dock has broken. Do you use a Dock Adaptor on the Bose, that holds the iPod in the correct position?

User uploaded file.

I confess that if my iPod is on the Dock and I want to change the star rating of the song that's playing, I do worry that pressing the centre button without holding the iPod (so that it does not pivot backwards) is going to cause the connections to break. This is even more likely if you do not use the adaptor.

iPod classic does not work with Bose Sounddock anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.