Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Network In Range

I'm trying to set up VPN. But I'm stuck almost before I start. ANY IP address I put in at the start yields the following message:

"Unknown Network In Range

The starting address is on an unknown network. Users connecting over VPN may not be able to access your network"

What does that even mean? I assume that should be a nomal 'external' to my router IP, but I've even tried to start with the 10.0 numbers. Always the same message. Is there a restricted set of numbers for this?

I'm only trying to set up 3 for each PPTP and L2TP. My whole range is only 6.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), OS Server

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:25 PM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2012 10:51 PM in response to Scott Nash

Your server should have TWO network ranges - a public network and a private network. From your post it sounds like you have 6 public addresses for your network.

You should create a second network for your private network and define a range of IP addresses in this network for the VPN client range. That network should use private class addresses such as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, but you cant use them until you have an interface on the server in that range.

Nov 20, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Scott Nash

Hey Scott,

The "Unknown Network In Range" message looks like a bug to me. I've set up several Lion servers for VPN and I get this message every single time, no matter what address range you supply.

If you know that the addresses you have put in the VPN range are correct for your network, just ignore the message and the VPN will work correctly.

Unknown Network In Range

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.