Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM How much is needed?

I'm using a MacPro OSX 10.4.8 266ghz 5 gbs. (RAM). Concerning my FCP X project. it consists of two video tracks, (one behind) both have sound....

and some still pics as a background (which I fade, rotate and re-size) into the main video... but it always crashes. The video is only one minute long. What could I be doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Am I loading other events (accidently)? Or do I need more than 5 Gbs of ram? thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 266ghz 5 Gbz RAM, HD's 2~4 500Gb

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:33 PM

9 replies

Nov 17, 2012 9:22 PM in response to xrc

Are your projects/events on a SEPERATE drive than the HD with FCPX software? FCPX prefers the media to be on a seperate drive with high-speed throughput. (Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt.) If you have more than one HD in your Pro, you should keep media on one and the app on the other. (Preferably, your media should be on a SATA drive.)

But, a minute's-long video shouldn't bind up that much. Now... Assuming RAM is, indeed, the solution...

The answer is--almost always-- buy as much RAM as you can afford!

Admittedly, FCPX is a RAM hog. And, a 266G with 5G's of RAM you're right on the threshold. (IMO, others may chime in on this.)

RAM is cheap. (Thru a third party, not Apple.) I'd buy a pair of sticks and bump up to 16G. I'm pretty sure your project will fly. (Assuming, again, RAM is the issue here.)

Nov 18, 2012 8:13 AM in response to xrc

Is your OS t 10.4 or 10.6?. http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.

Still images are really tough on video NLEs – particularly with moves. Don't use images that are unnecessarily large – between 1 and 1.5 X your project resolution would be about right.

I have used FCPX on a 4 GB RAM laptop and it works pretty well for short projects; but eventually it starts to drag. So yes, it would be best to increase it.

Good luck.

Russ

Dec 3, 2012 6:21 AM in response to dastoelk

To everyone below who replied. I just put in 4 Gbs more RAM to make it 8 ram. the two 512mbs...were moved and don't show up in my specs. Anyway, FCPX still crashed. I think perhaps it's the gfx board. the pics are 12 mb size. And I do lots of rotating, re-sizing and opacity settings. The requester comes up when starting saying:

pic enclosed. Yes, App is on HD1 Folders are on HD2....

User uploaded file

RAM How much is needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.