Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newly-unlocked iPhone 4 will not activate with new sim card

I recently bought a used iPhone 4 from a friend and brought it with me to Cambodia. The friend initited a request to AT&T to unlock the phone so I could use it, and the request was granted by AT&T. She forwarded me the email with instructions, but I have not been able to successfully complete the unlock. The instructions say:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
  2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
  3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
  4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
  5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

When I try this, it refuses to recognize that there is a SIM card installed.

The instructions don't say it has be any particular SIM card, just "a SIM card" so I'm using my local SIM. I also tried a second SIM with the same result.

Any ideas why this isn't working or what I should try next?

iPhone 4

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:03 PM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2012 10:41 PM in response to gdgmacguy

I can't even get to an option that asks me that question. I don't want any of the data on the phone now, as that is my friend's data, but I can't even get to a place where I can delete her data or anything else.

All I get is the "activation" screen options (choose language, country, wifi network) and then the error message that "Activation Failed - please insert a SIM card."

I'm not sure if that clarifies exactly what you're asking, My apologies if it doesn't, and try asking me again.

Newly-unlocked iPhone 4 will not activate with new sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.