Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro application migration problem

Hi!

I've recently used Migration Assistant to copy all my Apps from my 2010 MacBook Pro running Lion, to a 2012 MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion.

Ive used this method before using time machine from an even older MacBook to the 2010 MacBook Pro and had no problems, it pretty much mirrored the older MacBook.

This time around i only copied the Apps, and i did it via wi-fi. It took ages but seemed to have worked, until i started using the Apps. I've lost all my setting and App info. As an example, I use the App 'Billings'. When i open it on the new MacBook none of my stuff (invoices, timesheets etc) is in there. Every program i open is as if its just been installed and i have to go through the registration / set up of each. Microsoft Office doesnt even work it just keeps asking me to update but then says theres no updates. Apps like transmit FTP have no saved Favourites etc etc.

Can someone shed some light onto why ive lost all the content / rego / serials for my Apps? And how to get them back?

THANKYOU!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:19 AM

3 replies

Nov 18, 2012 3:33 AM in response to mareebee83

Most of the app info is stored in the root or user Library - copying just the Applications folder isn't going to do you any good.

If I were you, I'd start all over again - this time with both machines hardwired to your router via Ethernet - and restore everything. Your apps are pretty much useless without the auxiliary files on which they are dependant.

Good luck,

Clinton

Nov 18, 2012 3:55 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So just to be clear, I didn't just copy the apps folder from one to the other. I used the Migration Assistant to connect the two MacBooks via wi-fi and only ticked Apps.

I don't want to restore everything as the old MacBook was running extremely slow so I've tried to de-clutter as much as I can. All I want are the apps (and their content, settings etc).

So in saying that, are you suggesting that the problem was the wi-Fi connection or because I only restored the apps as opposed to everything? Either way, that's pretty bad of Apple if that's the issue. I should have no problems doing it that way.

Also, I've since installed new apps on the new MacBook, does this mean if I start over it will wipe out the new with old?

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2012 3:59 AM in response to mareebee83

Even using MA, if you only ticked the Applications folder, that's all that's going to be copied - all of those files that are app-dependent weren't copied.

The only problem with the wifi only connection is that it slows down the migration process - best to hardware the two computers to the same router.

And, yes, if you start over again and use MS properly, you're going to wipe those new apps - probably. I don't know, I've only done a full restore and some apps (newer iLife apps, for instance) stayed in place. It's just something that you're going to have to try.

Good luck,

Clinton

macbook pro application migration problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.