Previous 1 2 3 Next 34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 11:09 AM by strausz
PriceyB98 Level 1 Level 1

After downgrading from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard, I restore from SuperDuper, and upgrades the OS back to Mountain Lion. How do I downgrade properly without upgrading back to Mountain Lion? Quick reply would be awesome. I have tried with Time Machine and it does the same

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • mende1 Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Install Snow Leopard and open Migration Assistant to restore the backup, or transfer your files manually. It happens sometimes when you restore the whole backup on Setup Assistant or from the Mac OS X disc

• PriceyB98 Level 1 Level 1

migration assitant?

Is migration assistant one of the option things that comes up after the welcome video in the restore thing?

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Setup Assistant asks you to restore the backup using Migration Assistant, but it only works with Time Machine backups

Any other way? What's the thing with manually copying files?

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Cloning is useful to reinstall the same OS, but it doesn't work downgrading to an older Mac OS X. The only thing you can do is migrate your files manually. Open Finder, select your external hard disk in the sidebar, go to Users > yourname and copy all your personal files to your user folder. You'll have to reinstall your programs to prevent issues

Can I copy the applications into that user folder?

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

No - your Applications are stored in the root directory, not in the user home directory. And if you just try to migrate the Applications folder, you'll muck up the apps because they are dependent on files in your root and your user Library.

What steps have you taken thus far? You've 'downgraded' your internal drive from ML to SL? Have you used Migration Assistant to move your old files back into place?

Clinton

I backed up everything with Superduper. Then I restarted holding the C key with the OS X Snow Leopard disc in, erased the hard drive by partitioning it to 1 partition, then installed OS X Snow Leopard. When it asked about the migration assistant stuff, I just went to the option of not doing anything and continuing because I had backed up with Super Duper, not Time Machine. So then OS X Snow Leopard successfuly booted. Then I restarted it, holding the option key on startup, taking me to the choosing-between-drives-and-stuff thing. I selected the external drive with the back up and it booted up, with Mountain Lion... which I am in now. So now I need to get everything onto my internal hard drive with Snow Leopard, not Mountain Lion

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

So you have Mac OS X Snow Leopard in the hard drive but you've started from the clone. Restart in Snow Leopard and copy your most important files to your user folder. You'll have to reinstall the programs

I just want to mae sure I copy the right folder, which one is it? Oh and by the way HDDDDD is my internal hard drive, I just renamed it when I partitioned it, and Untitled 1 is the Super Duper backup that I'm currently running..Screen Shot 2012-11-18 at 11.01.01 PM.png

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Can't see the screen shot - use the camera in the composing bar ^^^ to insert an image.

If I were you, I'd start all over again, this time making a Time Machine backup instead of a clone: then you can restore and keep the 'old' system.

Just curious - why do you want to downgrade? ML is working great for me... it's been a long time since I've run SL.

Clinton

I did use the camera. I most definitely did. Ever since I upgraded to Lion it's crashed whenever the ram filed up, which doesn't take much, just opening keynote or anything bigger than that. Mountain Lion didn't fix that for me... Keep in mind I have a mid 2010 macbook pro 15 inch

crashes as in it freezes and restarts

Previous 1 2 3 Next