Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't downgrade Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard

After downgrading from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard, I restore from SuperDuper, and upgrades the OS back to Mountain Lion. How do I downgrade properly without upgrading back to Mountain Lion? Quick reply would be awesome. I have tried with Time Machine and it does the same

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:33 AM

35 replies

Nov 18, 2012 4:43 AM in response to PriceyB98

Cloning is useful to reinstall the same OS, but it doesn't work downgrading to an older Mac OS X. The only thing you can do is migrate your files manually. Open Finder, select your external hard disk in the sidebar, go to Users > yourname and copy all your personal files to your user folder. You'll have to reinstall your programs to prevent issues

Nov 18, 2012 4:49 AM in response to PriceyB98

No - your Applications are stored in the root directory, not in the user home directory. And if you just try to migrate the Applications folder, you'll muck up the apps because they are dependent on files in your root and your user Library.

What steps have you taken thus far? You've 'downgraded' your internal drive from ML to SL? Have you used Migration Assistant to move your old files back into place?

Clinton

Nov 18, 2012 4:57 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I backed up everything with Superduper. Then I restarted holding the C key with the OS X Snow Leopard disc in, erased the hard drive by partitioning it to 1 partition, then installed OS X Snow Leopard. When it asked about the migration assistant stuff, I just went to the option of not doing anything and continuing because I had backed up with Super Duper, not Time Machine. So then OS X Snow Leopard successfuly booted. Then I restarted it, holding the option key on startup, taking me to the choosing-between-drives-and-stuff thing. I selected the external drive with the back up and it booted up, with Mountain Lion... which I am in now. So now I need to get everything onto my internal hard drive with Snow Leopard, not Mountain Lion 😀

Nov 18, 2012 5:19 AM in response to PriceyB98

Can't see the screen shot - use the camera in the composing bar ^^^ to insert an image.

If I were you, I'd start all over again, this time making a Time Machine backup instead of a clone: then you can restore and keep the 'old' system.

Just curious - why do you want to downgrade? ML is working great for me... it's been a long time since I've run SL.

Clinton

Nov 18, 2012 5:35 AM in response to PriceyB98

Don't know why the image isn't showing up... not on my end, anyway.

As I said, I would restart the process - back up using Time Machine, erase internal and install SL, then use Time Machine to restore. I'm not sure that your freezing and restarts are related to ML, however... even with a mid-2010 MBP, you should be able to run it with ease. Do you have the max 8GB of RAM installed? Were you (are you) getting any error messages with ML? Might be smart to try to ferret out the problems with ML before downgrading...

Clinton

Can't downgrade Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.