Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi roaming solution

I recently moved to a new apartment, which is wired for ethernet in all rooms but the internet provider installed the internet service through the regular telephone line so room-by-room connectivity is not possible !

I have a Mac 17" laptop with Mountain Lion + ADSl Router + Airport Extreme + three Airport Express units+ Apple TV, iPads and iPhones. These all worked fine as a roaming + Airplay solution in my previous location but my new apartment has a number of heavy brick walls dividing that apartment so, the wireless roaming solution provided at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf didn't work for me as the Airport Express units were not connecting with the Airport Extreme unit (out of range because of the heavy walls).

I've now got a fabulous roaming wi-fi solution with wi-fi + Airplay in all locations. How ? My Airport extreme is connected, by ethernet, to the ADSL Router. I've now bought Aztech HL115EP Homeplug AV 500Mbps Pass Through Units (Netgear, etc provide the same solution). The first Aztech Unit is connected to my Airport Extreme (as the "sender") by ethernet cable and connected to the electric mains socket. In each location where I need wi-fi + Airplay, I've connected another Aztech Pass Through Unit ("receivers") and plugged an Airport Express into that Aztech unit and connected the Airport Express to the Aztech using an ethernet cable. I reset each of the Airport Express Units (using the reset button on the Airport unit) and then using my Mac laptop, Airport utility, configured each Airport Express as an ethernet connection to the Airport Extreme network and everything works like a dream 🙂.

Enjoy !

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:07 AM

There are no replies.

Wi-fi roaming solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.