Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini - XQuartz 2.7.4 "Preparing for Installation..." takes forever (stalls indefinitely)

Mac-mini / OS X 10.8.2 / 16 gig ram / 256 SSD / i7 2.6 GHz

- installing XQuartz 2.7.4 gets stuck on "Preparing for Installation..."

forced quit after 30 minutes..

- tried XQuartz 2.7.3 gets stuck on "Preparing for Installation..."

forced quit after 20 minutes.. rebooted..

- tried XQuartz 2.7.2 gets stuck on "Preparing for Installation..."

forced quit rebooted after 10 minutes... rebooted...

- tried XQuartz 2.6.3, it gets stuck...

- tried X11-2.6.3, it also gets stuck..

The X11 package included with OS X 10.7 worked great..

OS X 10.8.2 - /Applications/Utilities/X11 directs me to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

- forwards to http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/ offering: XQuartz-2.7.4.dmg

which DOES NOT install on Mac Mini OS X 10.8.2 i7 16 gig RAM 256 SSD

just hangs forever...

(the code signing certificate indicates its a trusted install for 2.7.4 and the others..)

tried adjusting Security & Privacy settings "Allow applications downloaded from: = Anywhere" (Gate Keeper).. that did not help..

maybe I'll try copying the "XQuartz.app" from my 10.7 mac to this new 10.8.2 mac mini..

(or run gimp on 10.8.2 pointed to XDarwin running fine on an ol' Mac OS X 10.2)

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:07 AM

6 replies

Nov 18, 2012 5:26 AM in response to Camino fan 2010

I have GIMP 2.8.2 running natively w/o X11 on 10.8.2. This is the first GIMP release to do so. I use the Lehmann build, as there was a crashing problem with the official GIMP 2.8.2 release.

I had XQuartz 2.7.3 installed in 10.8.1. Worked fine. When I upgraded to 10.8.2, it was automatically removed and replaced with Apple X11 v1.0. No warning ... just done. That inspired the switch to native GIMP.

You are not imagining that there are issues in 10.8.2 with XQuartz of any flavor. Apple has their work cut out for them in 10.8.3.

Nov 18, 2012 3:35 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

Found a solution that just installed it:

(you may want to omit the -allowUntrusted, I applied it.. but it probably is not necessary)

root# installer -pkg XQuartz.pkg -target / -allowUntrusted -store

installer: Note: running installer as an admin user (instead of root) gives better Mac App Store fidelity

installer: Warning: XQuartz.pkg was signed with a certificate that is not valid for store submission.

installer: Installation Check: Passed

installer: Volume Check: Passed

installer: Bundle org.macosforge.xquartz.X11 will be installed to /Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app

installer: Starting install

installer: Install 0.0% complete

installer: Install 15.3% complete

installer: Install 28.4% complete

installer: Install 32.8% complete

installer: Install 39.3% complete

installer: Install 65.5% complete

installer: Install 88.2% complete

installer: Install 90.3% complete

installer: Install 100.0% complete

installer: Finished install

related: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/674

Nov 20, 2012 7:16 PM in response to Camino fan 2010

more info:

I just installed by double clicking XQuartz.pkg in the Finder on a different mac mini, also OS X 10.8.2, without any glitches the installer completed fine. This system had been installed from an ISO I created by downloading the .dmg from the App store. This mac had a factory build of 10.7. I installed 10.8.2 on a separate partition.

The problematic mac was a factory build of 10.8.2. It had also just completed FULL BACKUP ENCRYPTED to USB 3 device. Time Machine was off, however at login I was asked for the backup password.

Both machines had Time Machine turned off at the point of install. Both machines had all USB devices removed.

I suspect the crux of the problems lies with Installer (not the .pkg). I believe double clicking a .pkg excludes the -store option.

When the -store option is applied at the command line, the Installer issue is bypassed.

(BTW: Gimp 2.6.12 is running under XQuartz 2.7.4 very well now)

Jul 10, 2014 7:14 AM in response to Chessmate

So the command actually is just the following:

installer -pkg XQuartz.pkg -target / -allowUntrusted -store

You need to have System Administrator privileges so login as a user with Admin Rights.

Consider reading up a little bit on the sudo command and OS X Administrative Rights for a better understanding..

So try these steps.

1. login as a user with System Administrative rights.

2. launch Terminal

3. at the Terminal enter the following to activate admin rights (become root in Unix speak).

sudo bash

4. Enter your User Password when prompted. After successful authentication your command line prompt will look a little different. Also your Administrative Rights will be enabled for any following commands, so please be careful at this point.

5 enter the installer command as follows:

installer -pkg XQuartz.pkg -target / -allowUntrusted -store

mac mini - XQuartz 2.7.4 "Preparing for Installation..." takes forever (stalls indefinitely)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.