Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Beta December Sunset Question

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 which is not capable of running 10.8 but I really like using messages on my computer. Does anybody know if Apple's decision to pull the beta in December just means you will not be able to download it anymore or will it stop working on my machine? I'd love to upgrade the OS but can't see replacing a computer that hardware wise more than meets my needs. If it will stop working, anybody know of a different program I could use? (My daughter's main form of communication is texting so its been a lifesaver of a time saver)

thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:27 AM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2012 6:43 AM in response to syfifann

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

It will stop working on December. To uninstall Messages, open Messages > Uninstall Messages, and it will install iChat. If your mother uses a computer, you can use iChat, but I suppose if she's using Messages, she uses an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac, so you can't contact with her using your computer. You can use Skype instead to chat with her

Nov 18, 2012 10:43 AM in response to syfifann

Yeah, at this point Skype may be your best option, but it would cost money. You would need to buy a Skype subscription that covers text messages and then you'd need to get a Skype phone number that your daughter could text to.

Another option would be to invest in a recent-vintage iPod that can run Messages just like an iPhone, and then keep it near the computer. Not as nice to type on, though.

Nov 19, 2012 2:25 PM in response to syfifann

Hi

The AIM side of iChat can send SMS messages to a phone.

There are some limits to this though.

1) The computer has to be set up as if it were in the Untied States.

(System Preferences > Language and Text)

The Phone definitely has to be in the United States but also has to be one a carrier that supports AIM's SMS Forwarding.

If you can satisfy these criteria then the phone number gets added to an AIM Buddy List as if it were a Buddy with a leading +1 country code added (even though they never rolled it out further)

In the form similar to +1234567890

Your daughter could also use AIM express on a Mobile (She would then need an AIM valid Screen Name.)

Depending on the Apple ID she is using in iMessages it may work with a web browser login.

At iChat 6 Apple had the app also perform a login to me.com which then allows the AIM login to "See" the password.

As a Consequence to this extra security level check @me.com names (and @icloud.com names) cannot be verified On Line in AIM Express of the AIM Settings page

If she is using an @mac.com Apple ID then she will be able to login using the AIM Express.

IF you have GoogleTalk IDs then this could mean she could "Chat" in a Browser logged in to iGoogle or Google's Web Mail page.

Facebook and iChat could also work.

Facebook, like Google's GoogleTalk needs the account set up for "Chat"

As it is a Jabber server you can use a Jabber ID (GoogleTalk or Facebook or Other)

The Skype Mobile app and the Mac version should be able to exchange text chats the same way iChat can (i.e it should not cost any more than the data traffic she is already using.)

It should not needs to go through the SMS channels of her service provider.

User uploaded file
10:25 PM Monday; November 19, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 4, 2012 2:11 PM in response to mende1

Curiosity question only. Just trying gather information.

Mende1 - in your response you wrote "If your mother uses a computer, you can use iChat, but I suppose if she's using Messages, she uses an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac, so you can't contact with her using your computer.". I have gone computer to computer using iChat and Messages. Am i misunderstanding you?

Dec 5, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Mende1 was suggesting the daughter might not have or use a computer at all for the iMessages she has been sending and has been using an iOS device.

As the Original Poster will need to uninstall Messages beta back to iChat 6 before the allotted time the daughter may or may not be able to contact him if he is using iChat.

The iOS device would still be using Messages by iChat cannot send or Receive iMessages.

Mende1 is then suggesting that Skype which has Mobile versions as well as a Mac Version would cope with Messaging of some sort.

However so would AIM Express in a Web Browser on the iOS device (it might mean registering for AIM names all round)

If (and it is a big if) the daughter is on a phone and the Phone happens to be in the United States And is on a carrier that supports AIM SMS Forwarding then he may be able to use this method.

That is to say iChat does SMS Messaging to Phones

The Limits are that the Computer has to set up as if in the United States - the phone HAS to be in the United States on a Carrier that supports the SMS Forwarding by AIM (there is a list on the AIM web site some where).

The Mac adds the phone Number to an AIM Buddy list as If it were a Buddy Name.

It must contain the leading +1 country code for the United States as in +1234567890

The phone does not have to be an Apple one.

Hope that helps.

User uploaded file
8:32 PM Wednesday; December 5, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 5, 2012 4:57 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

What confused me (it doesn't take much) was the OP referenced daughter and Mende1 referenced mother and he referenced Mac in addition to the IOS devices. It was the mention of Mac which prompted my response. After rereading the OP, I can see what you explained to me.

A challenge for tomorrow!

Again, thank you for your time. I wish I could give you some points, but...... 🙂

Messages Beta December Sunset Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.