Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem

When I try to open iPhoto, it bounces then pops up with a large error message strarting with, 'iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem.' I know I'm to blame as yesterday, I attempted to update python and failed (I ended up loosing python), and in the error message it says this:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python

Referenced from: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Reason: image not found

How do I re-install python? Will that make iPhoto better? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:01 AM

13 replies

Nov 19, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Old Toad

I tried that and instead if nothing happening, the 'iPhoto cannot open because of a problem' alert came up, still blaming the issue on python not being where it is supposed to, even after downloading the update combo. I tried in terminal typing python and apparently python is an unknown command yet. Know it is known. Clearly, python must be installed another way. Should I do something in recovery mode? Re-download mountain lion off the App Store?

Nov 19, 2012 4:27 PM in response to zachfromcupertino

If you can download the Mt. Lion application without having to install the entire software you could use Pacifist to try and reinstall the Python.framework.

User uploaded file

However, if you're not adventurous and don't have a backup of your hard drive to recover your files in case it goes awry I'd opt to reinatll the entire system and then apply the 10.8.2 COMBO updater.

If you can make a copy of the installer before your run it so you will have it in case you need it on another occasion or for another Mac that you own.

Nov 20, 2012 8:21 AM in response to zachfromcupertino

Do you have a backup of your hard drive, like with Time Machine or other backup application? I've not had to reinstall Mt. Lion from the recovery partition that it creates so can't answer you confidently. I'd ask in the Mt. Lion forum.

However, if you don't have a backup of your hard drive, particularly your Home folder at a minimum, I'd give serious thought to obtaining an external HD and starting a backup strategy before reinstalling the OS.

iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.