Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slowwwwww with multiple users

Whenever my wife has logged into the iMac, its ends up running VERY slowly when I also login. If I log her out, it is then fine.

I've checked the activity monitor, and I can't really find anythign that is being a resource pig.

The imac is a 12,2 2.7 ghz i5 processor, 4 gb of ram

My fear is that there is some sort of malware running on her user that I can't identify that is using up resources. The reason I suspect that is because every couple of months her gmail account gets hacked. But i've run utilities like ClamXav and haven't found anything. I've reinstalled osx before, but did migrate the user accounts, so that wouldn't have fixed too much.

any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:05 AM

1 reply

Nov 18, 2012 10:09 AM in response to mille1j

She probably has a bunch of Items set to open at Login, go to System Preferences / Users & Groups and check her Login Items. If you find a lot of stuff in her account set to open at login, ask her politely if you can remove any that she does not need or use.

It also would help a bunch sence your switching between multiple user's to add another 4 or 8GB of RAM to the system.

For adding RAM, see > iMac (Late 2009) and later: Installing or replacing memory

For quality RAM upgrades, shop at either > OWC Memory or Crucial Memory

Slowwwwww with multiple users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.