Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "ScopedBookmarkAgent"?

What is the "ScopedBookmarkAgent"? And how do I get my computer to stop asking my to type in my Login Keychain password to let it have access EVERY time I login?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 4G RAM, 500G HD, AEBS-N

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 8:01 PM

About a half a year late for your question, but I am now having the same problem. After researching the web, I can find no one who knows what ScopedBookmarkAgent does but I did determine that every Mac user has it - it is part of Apple's Mac OS X. So, it is safe to give it your keychain password. If it asks EVERY time you reboot, I don't know how to stop that and I hope I don't have that happening to me.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2013 8:01 PM in response to niteowl

About a half a year late for your question, but I am now having the same problem. After researching the web, I can find no one who knows what ScopedBookmarkAgent does but I did determine that every Mac user has it - it is part of Apple's Mac OS X. So, it is safe to give it your keychain password. If it asks EVERY time you reboot, I don't know how to stop that and I hope I don't have that happening to me.

Apr 26, 2013 9:04 PM in response to garyfromnashua

Bookmarks are an improvement on aliases used (among other things) by applications to keep track of files that may move at any time, like media files. In 10.7+, as Apple began to transition to sandboxing, it augmented bookmarks with "security scoped bookmarks" and incoporate them into the entitlements framework.

The ScopedBookmarkAgent handles applications requests for scoped bookmarks on your behalf; specifically, applications must use the ScopedBookmarkAgent to receive permission to read/write files outside their sandbox. Obviously, the ultimate authority to grant that permission is you, the user, and so the agent is asking you for that permission on behalf of the application.

For those so interested, more info is here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Security/Conceptual/AppSa ndboxDesignGuide/AppSandboxInDepth/AppSandboxInDepth.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP 40011183-CH3-SW16

Nov 18, 2012 11:35 AM in response to niteowl

If you are asking about logging in after a startup or restart, you can set up your computer to automaticially login by going to System Preferences/Users and groups. Open the lock, select the account you want to automatically login, and select login options. At the top is automatic log. Select the account from the scroll menu and your computer should login automatically.

Anyone who starts your computer will have access to that account.

I hope I answered the question you were asking.

No clue about ScopedBookmarkAgent.

What is "ScopedBookmarkAgent"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.