Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk full, computer won't turn on!

Hello!

Recently, every time I turn on my MacBook Air, after the startup chime, a window pops up saying the startup disk is full. After that, the screen stays blue with just my mouse on it. I just tried turning it on again before writing this, and the window doesn't even show up anymore! Please help, I have very important data in it and I never backed it up 😟

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:45 AM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2016 10:33 AM in response to Leandra65

I had the same problem when I updated to macOS Sierra – the updater got stuck and even the safe mode boot did not work. I had to boot into recovery mode and fix it – it needs couple of commands from command line but it is easy. I wrote here how I did it:

http://blogit.image.fi/vesanlinja/mac-wont-boot-after-os-sierra-update-because-d isk-is-full-heres-the-fix/

Takes about five minutes – be careful when using the rm -rf command.

Nov 18, 2012 9:51 AM in response to Leandra65

Back up your data. If it's important why oh why do you not have it backed up?

Do not let your hard drive fill over 85% total capacity. This will cause OSX to crash and you may start losing files.

For right now try:

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Safe mode will delete temporary files which may give you enough time to copy enough to another drive. Do not think you are okay now. The temporary files will rebuild and your computer will crash again. Delete or copy enough files so you have at least 20GB free on your computer and keep it that way, or even more.

Startup disk full, computer won't turn on!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.