Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive problem.

My existing external drive is no longer fit for purpose - disk for cloning too small.

I have (had) a media player for which I had no use but it has a 1Tb hard disk which seemed to offer itself for formatting and partitioning.

i went through the procedure, created 4 partitions, all formatted correctly, all seem to have the correct attribuites - GUID etc.,

Their icons appear under the volume name in Disk Utility.

Running "verify' on all resulted in "OK"

The icons also appear on the desktop.

So far so good.

They do NOT appear in the options for "startup disk" in System Preferences.

Neither do they come up as an option when restarting the computer with "alt" pressed.

I had intended as in my present EHD to reinstall a version of Mac OS on one drive and install my TechTool and DW there.

I also intended to use another large partition for Super Dooper cloning.

i had created 2 other small partitions, as I seem to remember reading that it gives more flexibility for moving things around.

I have a feeling that the solution will be evident to someone who partitions his/her disks fairly often and I would be grateful for any suggestions

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 5:59 AM

The Pennny dropped!

I backed up SuperDuper to the designated partition. Which became rebootable, and appeared on the statup window.

likewise I had a mountain lion download to spare, that asked me nicely where I wanted it installed, then duly did so. My DW and TTPro tools now safely installed there.

Easy when you have a little think about it!

Strange that I don't recollect those steps from my previous EDD setup. Age, I suppose.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2012 5:59 AM in response to cromdubh

The Pennny dropped!

I backed up SuperDuper to the designated partition. Which became rebootable, and appeared on the statup window.

likewise I had a mountain lion download to spare, that asked me nicely where I wanted it installed, then duly did so. My DW and TTPro tools now safely installed there.

Easy when you have a little think about it!

Strange that I don't recollect those steps from my previous EDD setup. Age, I suppose.

External drive problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.