Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting PDF file from Pages results in bad text formatting when using Acrobat

Hi

I'm using Pages, trying to export a text file to PDF.

When I open the exported file with Preview, everything looks perfect.

However, when I open the file with Acrobat on my Mac or on a Windows, the text formatting is very bad. Everything is in place, but some of the letter are bigger than other, some are chipped off in certain places. It looks like a printer out of toner printed out the document.

Needless to say - I'm using the best quality export from Pages.

Please help.

Thank you

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:50 PM

Just as an example, this is a screenshot of the original text:

User uploaded file

This is what acrobat shows:

User uploaded file

Helppp

19 replies

Jan 31, 2013 6:33 AM in response to ytimon001

I swear, if someone doesn't come up with a solution to this problem, I'm gonna hurl! HA!

I'm having the *exact* same problem as you, and have been searching for over a day for a resolution - nothing!! Not only is all my text jagged (as you illustrated here), my images are as well, and any other "effects". This is ridiculous!

I just recently switched from a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, to a new shiny iMac running Mountain Lion. This is when all my problems started... Same Acrobat version, same Pages version.

I've tried Export as PDF, Print to PDF, open them in Preview THEN export as PDF? Open the saved PDF into Illustrator, then re-save as PDF? Nothing fixes it. So I went back to my Macbook Pro, did everything the same (with the SAME document), and it works great. So I can only preclude that it's an issue with Mountain Lion.

I'm panicking here because I have sooooo.... many documents that I've done previously, that I will no doubt need to re-open and edit, then re-save as PDF moving forward. So what am I supposed to do to fix this?

HELP, someone!!!!! 😟 😟 ytimon001: were you able to find resolution on this at all?

Jan 31, 2013 8:50 AM in response to ytimon001

Are you referring to MsWord for PC? As viewed on a PC?

I have tested pdfs of identical text (you appear to be using ArialMT Bold) output from both Pages and Word for Mac, viewing them in Preview and both Acrobat Pro & Acrobat Reader.

In all cases the exports from Word for Mac and Pages appear identical, and Preview's rendering is better than Acrobat Pro or Reader. Acrobat's anti-aliasing is inferior to Preview's.

I don't have a PC at the moment to test the Acrobat for PC rendering, but have heard there is a problem.

If you like click on my blue name and email me the sample file that is rendering badly, I'll see if I can spot what the difference is.

Peter

Jan 31, 2013 10:50 AM in response to ytimon001

Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.1 on Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

In Pages v4.3, I created the Intrusion Detected bullet text in 14pt Arial Rounded MT Bold.

Exported PDF (best) to Arial.pdf. However, without graphics content to rasterize at 300 dpi, the PDF content will remain resolution independent, and in Preview, image at the default system ppi. Acrobat Reader reports that value as 81 ppi from Preferences > Page Display. On Windows 7, the same version of Reader shows the system default as 96 ppi. With Preview and Reader both set to 100% on the Mac, but with Reader now set to 96 dpi, you can see the difference with both applications adjacent with Arial.pdf open.

With the PDF file still open in Reader, try toggling between 96 ppi and the reported system default. The font appears vertically squished at 81 ppi and this is reversed at the 96 ppi setting. This might have something to do with your screen snaps between OS X and Windows rendering differently too.

May 1, 2013 2:31 PM in response to ytimon001

Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.02 on Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I have the same problem and find it makes most of Mac's fonts useless. I build a beautiful document in Pages, export to PDF so the world and clients can see it, and -poof- it looks terrible.

I also used Arial as sort of the lowest common denominator of plain font to see if it helped, and it does, but still looks very rough. I tried all the adjustments in System Prefs and Adobe Reader mentioned above and no improvement, sorry to say.

This issue seems to render all the beautiful, decades old Mac fonts and graphics useless; only my eyes see the beauty on my screen, everyone else looking at the PDF sees the jags. I love Mac and Pages and all, and with those, we should be the best at putting decent documents out to the world. But it's sure hard to turn out professional looking work with these circumstances.

Aug 19, 2013 3:09 AM in response to ErinChampWalker

The screenshots don't help.

Screenshots of what, using what font rendering, on Mac/PC in what document with exactly what font?

Can you provide a Pages document, with output to a PDF file that I can test and tell me precisely which version of Acrobat on what platform.

The statement that MsWord is producing better rendering PDFs is not true in my tests.

Peter

Exporting PDF file from Pages results in bad text formatting when using Acrobat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.