Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i edit mail address book?

Where is the Apple Mail address book?

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:51 PM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2012 2:06 PM in response to ebsjr

Thanks for inputs and thanks to Apple support.

Seems there are TWO "address books" in Mountain Lion ... one called Contacts and one constituted by the the "previous recipients" ... and they are NOT the same. My Contacts app showed 4 cards, two of me and two of Apple. My previous recipients list had way over a thousand entries, going back 8 years!!!! So using your suggestion, Dominic23, I deleted massively! from the oldest all the way to 12 months ago.

Bottom line, whatever Apple did, I don't like it. Why are there two separate address books? OK, so Contacts has Mail and FaceTime entries, maybe I want to keep them separate. Apple won't let me.

Nov 18, 2012 6:40 PM in response to ebsjr

Bottom line, whatever Apple did, I don't like it. Why are there two separate address books? OK, so Contacts has Mail and FaceTime entries, maybe I want to keep them separate. Apple won't let me.

There are not two address books. There is the Contacts (neé Address Book) that stores your contacts and there is the previous recipients which is a list of emails you have used previously. Nothing has changed. It has been that way since Mail appeared years ago.

Jan 1, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Barney-15E

Something has changed for me in ML, cmd+shift+y for "Add Sender to Contacts" no longer works. Even clicking the email and choosing to "Add Sender to Contacts" doesn't add them. I search for the email which should find the email where ever it has been added.

If I close Mail and go back to the email address and then click the drop down arrow and choose "Show Contact Card" it doesn't take me to any contact card even if I close the Contacts app and let it open it up.

Strange.

Apr 9, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Barney-15E

I don't know if this is valid or if you will get this Barney, but I am going to try because there is little else I can do. I have the same issue as this person. However, I want to delete those addresses that may have been sent previously since they pile up. How can I just use the addresses in my "Contacts"? Or, how can I delete those that I have previously sent to? There must be some way to set this up so that my "sent" emails do not appear or if they do, I can delete them?

Many thanks!

how do i edit mail address book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.