Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 4,1 15" won't boot

When I press the power key on my early 2008 MBP 15" 4,1 I hear the sound of the DVD drive checking like always but then nothing. I've tried to reset the SMC by removing the battery, holding down power button for 5 sec then reinstalling the battery. That doesn't help. The MBP was running great until today.

lenn

MBP(4.1) 15", 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iMacCore Duo 1.83GHz, iPad(3G), iPod Touch, Airport Extreme N

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:54 PM

6 replies

Nov 18, 2012 2:22 PM in response to lenn5

It's probably a busted drive. I would try holding down the option key while booting, and see if your drive appears.

Try booting into reconvery from a pendrive/CD (make it using a friend's mac, or another mac of your own. Some public libraries will have macs, mine does). Repair permissions, repair the disk, and then click the apple logo in the status bar in recovery. Click the option pertaining to the selection of the boot volume of the computer, and select your internal drive (usually Macintosh HD) and then try booting again.

If that doesn't work, take out your hard drive and mount it externally, and try booting with option.

If nothing has worked, your drive is broken, and you need to take it to a computer place to get it fixed. If you have a solid state (which I doubt because of your OS version not supporting TRIM), your drive is probably messed up and is not fixable (this is a problem with SandForce SSDs)

Nov 18, 2012 3:39 PM in response to Kappy

No chines. I can just hear the DVD drive running the self check for a second or 2 then nothing. MBP shuts down.

I do have an SSD. I also have filefault 2 enable.

Could this be the faulty Nvidia 8600M I've read about?

Also if I hold down the power key for a few seconds the tiny LED light on the front flashes really quickly.

thx

lenn

macbook pro 4,1 15" won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.