Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.DS_Store files undo delete command in Terminal

I was copying large quantities of files to a poorly formatted LaCie 3T external drive and kept coming up with interruptions in copying because the Finder kept "seeing" the creation of .DS_Store files. I researched and found a command for Terminal which stopped the OS from creating .DS_Store files. I restarted my laptop and sure enough, no more .DS files are being created.

I was then able to complete the massive transfer, I reformatted the drive, and returned all of the files to the 3T drive. Now everything's working alright.

My question is... How do I return the creation of .DS_Store files back to normal?

Can anyone drop me a line that I can insert into the terminal command line and get it done?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13" (250 gb, 2.4 gHz), iMac 2.4 gHz, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:06 PM

2 replies

Nov 18, 2012 9:53 PM in response to Topher Kessler

You know, I did that, and nothing happened. So I then decided to re-install M.L., and I'm now manufacturing .DS_Store files with abandon.

I've been reading that it's not a popular kind of file for folks, especially those who are working with variously formatted devices. There are some obscure advantages to having the files sit around the hard drive.

Thanks for your advice, however. It's good to know that I wasn't so far off.

.DS_Store files undo delete command in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.