Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phones are unavailable for me. How can i upgrade Leopard to Lion?

The only thing stopping me from purchasing Snow Leopard is my self imposed isolation without access to friends or relatives who can make a phone call for me. It is my choice and hardly Apple's fault. I left upgrading to Snow Leopard until long after it was withdrawn from sale from the on-line Apple Store. Thanks to Klaus1 for enlightening me. He is a good friend.

I can hardly claim Apple should make a simple product already in existence available to me via the same methods much of its other products are at present, through their existing storefront in their existing website. I have no right to point out that this product is advertised with a price point and necessary in the path for upgrading to the most recent product Lion and is key to being able to purchase apps once that is functional with my OS.

But actually it falls under the jurisdiction of handicap access, and this problem is as always still an issue, not just for me, but many. It is not isolation that drives this query, but a demand for equal access.

It is not like a person makes a choice to lose hearing. I did not impose my difficulties, they are in fact my constraints. I do not own a functioning phone for obvious reasons. I am delighted to own an ipad. I am here fighting for the opportunity to upgrade my laptop using a method that has been available to me for years... i know it may be easy for ya'll to call but i cannot. I am writing all this to appeal for an intelligent response to solve my very real problem.

Who knows the best link or email where i can type a message and get support help... I have sent several messages in varying locations with no response as of yet.

Who has been on the phone call to get this upgrade, can you confirm what i have heard, that there is a link to purchase the product?

Maybe there is a support line i can mail a text to.

Please don't tell me to call or get a friend to call. This is not a solution, it is a way of skirting around the problem and it unfortunately alienates many people with a myriad of complex constraints who for whatever reason cannot use a phone.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), Wacom Powered!!!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:22 PM

18 replies

Nov 19, 2012 7:26 AM in response to Long Haired Artist

Apple has a TTY/TDD line at 877-204-3930. That's how hearing-impaired customers would be expected to reach the company by phone. If you're not set up for that, there is no official channel for ordering an SL disc, but you might get somewhere by using the web interface to iTunes Store customer service, or by going to an Apple Store in person, and explaining the situation.

Nov 19, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Long Haired Artist

Nobody here can address Apple's policies. This is a user-to-user forum only.

But note that Snow Leopard has not been "advertised with a price point" since shortly after Mountain Lion was released. Historically, Apple has only offered the current and previous versions of OSX for sale, so this isn't new.

The Contact link at the bottom of this page has Apple's corporate address. You could try snail mail there, <edited by host>

If you're more interested in simply getting Snow Leopard than rattling Apple about their policy, you can get it from 3rd-party sellers, but you'll probably have to pay more than the original $29.

eBay has a number of listings, and you may find it on Amazon, Craigslist, etc. (Some have ridiculous prices).

Just be sure it's the white, retail disc like this:

User uploaded file

not a gray disc that came with a Mac (those only work on the specific hardware model and build period), and not an "upgrade" disc -- those were included with Macs purchased with Leopard but after Snow Leopard was announced, and may not work on your Mac.

Nov 19, 2012 9:02 AM in response to Pondini

The price point of $19.99 is advertised here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

I would not know the price if it were not advertised. Posting a price and intent to sell is advertising.

I don't see how this is a policy issue. I see it as an oversight, and would like to have this thread available to others who share my situation of not having access to a phone.

Again, back to my question, does anyone have any experience with the phone call, leading to a link, what is that link, or does anyone know a way to get customer service via email.

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2012 9:22 AM in response to Long Haired Artist

test

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion, but there's a serious problem with the forums at the moment -- many posts don't appear for all users. Sometimes you must make a new post for the previous ones to show up.

That's why Klaus didn't see my post (and he meant a white disc, not black).

Long Haired Artist wrote:

The price point of $19.99 is advertised here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

I would not know the price if it were not advertised. Posting a price and intent to sell is advertising.

I suspect Apple's legal department would not agree. If you wish to pursue that issue, good luck, but this is certainly not the place.

I don't see how this is a policy issue. I see it as an oversight, and would like to have this thread available to others who share my situation of not having access to a phone.

It's clearly not an oversight. When Mountain Lion was released, and Snow Leopard was dropped from the online store, many folks complained. Only after a month or so was it offered by phone.

Again, back to my question, does anyone have any experience with the phone call, leading to a link, what is that link, or does anyone know a way to get customer service via email.

There are no public links or email for sales, only specific support sites, such as: http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Message was edited by: Pondini

Nov 19, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Long Haired Artist

Sorry, I mistyped the last paragraph of my last post, then was over the 15-minute limit to edit.

What I was trying to say is, there are no public links (other than the Apple Store) or email for sales. The support sites such as http://www.apple.com/support/contact/ only allow phone contact if the online support isn't enough. There used to be an email or chat option there, but it seems to be gone now, but was for support only.

So, if your main purpose is to get Apple to change it's policy, either snail mail to Cupertino or email to Tim Cook or someone else at Apple seems to be your only alternatives to the phone.

I don't know what country you're in, but in the U.S. I believe a company is within it's rights to sell something by phone only. If they don't want to sell in stores or online, that may be shortsighted, but it's their option.

Nov 21, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Long Haired Artist

You may be able to buy Snow Leopard online. Some folks noticed this link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

I can't see a way to get to it from the main Apple Store page, so can't swear it isn't some sort of leftover, but it's worth a shot. If you're not in the US, try substituting "de" for Germany, "fr" for France, etc., for the "us" in the URL.

Let us know if it works.

Phones are unavailable for me. How can i upgrade Leopard to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.