Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto library not recognised

I have my iPhoto Library on an external drive and now want to import the better stuff into Aperture but it is not 'seeing' the library. The hard drive is showing up in Aperture's browser but the iPhoto Library does not appear. Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:05 PM

The hard drive is showing up in Aperture's browser but the iPhoto Library does not appear. Any ideas?

What Browser do you mean? Do you mean, you do not see the library in the Import window? Or the Browser to open a library? The Import window will not show libraries, only folders with images.

Are you trying to import the iPhoto library as a library into Aperture, or are trying to import selected image files from the iPhoto library?

What are your iPhoto version and your Aperture version? If you want to import from iPhoto to Aperture in Aperture 3.3 or later, the iPhoto version and Aperture version must match. If you have the current Aperture 3.4.3, your iPhoto version should be 9.4.3. and the iPhoto Library upgraded to 9.4.3. Do you have these versions? Also, your external drive should be formatted Mac OS X extended.

If you have Aperture 3.3 and later, there is no longer an iPhoto Browser to import selected files from iPhoto.

You can open the iPhoto Library in Aperture and work directly with the iPhoto Library, or import the iPhoto library into Aperture as library, not single files.

If you only need a few images from iPhoto and do not want to import the whole library, open your iPhoto Library in Aperture and export the selected images as new Aperture Library, then import this library into Aperture.

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2012 5:05 PM in response to BreizhRonB

The hard drive is showing up in Aperture's browser but the iPhoto Library does not appear. Any ideas?

What Browser do you mean? Do you mean, you do not see the library in the Import window? Or the Browser to open a library? The Import window will not show libraries, only folders with images.

Are you trying to import the iPhoto library as a library into Aperture, or are trying to import selected image files from the iPhoto library?

What are your iPhoto version and your Aperture version? If you want to import from iPhoto to Aperture in Aperture 3.3 or later, the iPhoto version and Aperture version must match. If you have the current Aperture 3.4.3, your iPhoto version should be 9.4.3. and the iPhoto Library upgraded to 9.4.3. Do you have these versions? Also, your external drive should be formatted Mac OS X extended.

If you have Aperture 3.3 and later, there is no longer an iPhoto Browser to import selected files from iPhoto.

You can open the iPhoto Library in Aperture and work directly with the iPhoto Library, or import the iPhoto library into Aperture as library, not single files.

If you only need a few images from iPhoto and do not want to import the whole library, open your iPhoto Library in Aperture and export the selected images as new Aperture Library, then import this library into Aperture.

Regards

Léonie

Nov 18, 2012 5:23 PM in response to BreizhRonB

Hi Leonie,

Thanks to your input I tried opening the iPhoto Library in Aperture and got a message about upgrading iPhoto Library. I have Aperture 3.4.3 but only iPhoto 8.1.2 so that seems to be where the problem lies. I didn't really want to upgrade my iPhoto because the latest version doesn't get very good reviews and I now have to decide whether to import individually exported images, upgrade to the latest version of iPhoto and work with a unified library or ditch iPhoto altogether and just work with Aperture. It was my intention to import my best photos into Aperture and keep the more mundane stuff in iPhoto. It seems like a retrograde step to not allow you to select individual images for import. Thanks for your help anyway, it's clarified the problem for me.

Regards

Ron

Nov 19, 2012 9:01 AM in response to BreizhRonB

It seems like a retrograde step to not allow you to select individual images for import. Thanks for your help anyway, it's clarified the problem for me.

You are welcome, Ron.

retrograde step

The problem is the missing upward compatibility. The new Aperture version can no longre import the older iPhoto libraries, that the previous Aperture versions could import. And that is an unsual design decision for Apple. Usually newer software version can still read the older data.

Iphoto library not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.