Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed for high-speed cable internet

Hi, I just got high-speed cable internet in our new house in Nova Scotia, Canada with Eastlink (high-speed cable).

My wife's crappy PC with Internet Explorer (or even using Safari) works great - super fast.

I have an iMac (10.4.11 with Safari) and it crawls (wifi, same room), online - VERY, VERY slow (like dial up)! It plays videos okay (which is strange), but takes a while to get there.

Their speed test shows that my computer is getting the juice (lots), but it takes up to 20 seconds for me to open a website. Is this a system problem? Maybe Safari? I have even connected to the their modem via ethernet cable, with no speed difference. I have had high-speed cable internet before in Ontario (same computer, same system, same Safari), with no problem. I have even had great speeds when staying in a motel, with the room, far from the wifi source. This is driving me crazy! Any thoughts?

Jim

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:48 AM

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a DNS issue for sure, some Modems/Routers don't negotiate DNS very well, especially with Macs.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

The Interface that connects to the Internet, needs to be drug to the top of System Preferences>Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON.

Then... Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers, for the Interface you connect with...

Then Apply.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2012 10:48 AM in response to James2356

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a DNS issue for sure, some Modems/Routers don't negotiate DNS very well, especially with Macs.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

The Interface that connects to the Internet, needs to be drug to the top of System Preferences>Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON.

Then... Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers, for the Interface you connect with...

Then Apply.

Help needed for high-speed cable internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.