Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Sharing on OS X Mountain Lion has broken DHCP

Hey.

I have activated Internetsharing on a MacOS X Mountain Lion to stream the incoming WiFi internet connection via ethernet to an access point. The AP has DHCP disabled because internet sharing is said to have DHCP. The given IP is not on 192.168 subnet and internet doesnt work - why?

I need a fix very fast, because I dont have internet at my school's dorm anymore! The mac only dishes odd IP's like 169.254 or whatever with a subnetmask of 255.255.0.0 !

Internet sharing needs to be more controllable... I have tried installing the server app and thought about using its dhcp, but it turned out internet sharing just gives a s*** on that config and deletes it entirely, replacing it with its own that i can NOT configure.

the subnet the original internet router uses is 192.168.2.x (255.255.0.0)

Because internet sharing DID work once untill i reboot and then it broke, it would have dished 192.168.3.x ...

As said, it worked once untill I rebooted - then it broke.

Any quick help? otherwise ill reinstall OS X and keep my server running 24/7 :/...

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:46 AM

1 reply

Nov 19, 2012 1:16 PM in response to Ingwie

First, there is no reason to ***** around here. We're all users here trying to help you in a case which you have likely caused yourself.

You'll not only need to activate Internet sharing but you also need to create a network then from your Mac, where it will be the DHCP server giving clients IPs, not your AP.

If your AP is also set to be a DHCP server, conflicts like you have can be expected. Enter its setup, however you do it, and set it to client mode, if that's an option.

Good luck, and peace.

Internet Sharing on OS X Mountain Lion has broken DHCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.