Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot play rental movie on Apple TV.

I tried to get a rental movie on Apple TV but I cannot watch it. I let the movie to finish downloading in order to watch later but it's never worked. It always showed "ready to play in 4 hours", even though, it was downloaded over 50% of the movie already. It's been several times until I really gave up. Finally, I cannot watch it and they deducted money from my credit card for this movie.

Never again rental movie on Apple TV!!!

AppleTV 2

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:44 AM

4 replies

Nov 19, 2012 2:01 AM in response to Noonalways

Noonalways,

Most likely youi have a slow internet connection or have limits on your usage.

Apple TV calculates the time nneded to finish the doanload so you can comfortably watch the whole move without waiting for the rest of the download half way down the plot.

I understand the frustration but it is not Apple TV you have the real problem with.

If you go wor HD quality you can try to download standard and see if this goes faster.

TZ

Jul 13, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Noonalways

If you used AppleTV for other things while waiting for the buffering of teh movie to finish it may well have used memory for those actvivities forcing it to start again.

Contact iTunes Store support, explain the issue - don't rant just politely explain the issue and they may well refund you - if they do a solution/workaround for slow connections is to Rent in iTunes then play via Computers on AppleTV - once the movie has fully downloaded you can play in a new Rentals category from your computer, and it's available for 30 days until you start playback, and then until the viewing perios has expired.

Jul 13, 2014 9:33 AM in response to Clevershutter

Clevershutter wrote:

I have the same problem. I know it's not my Internet connection because the problem only occurs on iTunes. I can stream whatever I want on Netflix, straight from my Apple TV, and from Amazon Instant Video from my iPad over AirPlay.. Any thoughts?

Those services use rate adaptive streaming (good or bad depending on how you look at it) - for slow connections they provide a less detailed video stream that gives best quality for download speed, whereas iTunes has fixed quality, so with slower connections the stream buffers until it can playback without interruption.

I cannot play rental movie on Apple TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.