Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad could not be activated

Unable to activate my iPad because the activation server is unavailable What is to be done.

Thank you

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:22 AM

13 replies

Jan 17, 2013 1:00 PM in response to ssiao

Got this issue resolved after the 4th Apple genius support guy looked at it. He called their Verizon direct line, got the cellular services activated and did some resetting on Verizon side. After a hard reset, my iPad went past the Activation page. Oddly, I tried to activate Verizon service at their store a few weeks ago, but it still didn't get past the activation step. I didn't get a clear answer on what was done differently this time around?

Bottom-line, if you have a 2nd generation or lower Verizon iPad, but never activated cellular services, it'll force you to activate it if you ever reset your iPad. Activation through iTunes won't work. I almost threw away my iPad on recommendation from the first three Apple geniuses. They gave me many different reasons (antenna, other hardware failures etc.) why my iPad could not be activated. I refused to accept their theory and pressed them to give me hard evidence relating "Activation server is not available..." error to internal iPad issue, which they could not provide. The fourth support guy went out of his way to call Verizon and got this resolved.

Hope this was helpful.

May 12, 2013 5:07 PM in response to ssiao

Hello

My ipad gone crazy a few days ago. It is always trying to activate itself. The first message that appeared was "Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable". I' was able to restore the iPad and backup it but iTunes does not recognize it anymore. I've tried to connect to iTunes using my Macbook and iMac (wi-fi). All my software is up to date.I've contacted for technical asistance and they said they could do nothing to repair it ⚠. I can not believe that there's nothing Apple can do. Could you please help me?

May 14, 2013 9:24 AM in response to Patricia Antunes

I had the same issue. After I did restore, it was stuck at "activation server down" error. This activation error is not coming from Apple server, but i believe from your 3G network provider. It's trying to lookup your apple device in their 'active" device list, and cannot find it. So, if you call your network provider and ask them to activate your service, you might be able to get past the "activation server down" error. Please ask them to check if your device (provide MEID number from back panel) has active status in their network.

I was disappointed by lack of initial support from Apple tech guys. They did standard restore and then told me to toss it. But I refused to give up and pressed hard, so the fourth tech guy called Verizon directly and got my ipad activated. I believe you should be able to call your network provider directly and activate your 3G services temporarily to get past this error.

Good luck...

May 15, 2013 3:07 AM in response to Patricia Antunes

Patricia - Another potential solution you may want to try...

"I ran into this same problem last weekend with my iPad2 Verizon (I never activated the cellular service). Spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple. They claimed it was a Verizon issue. Spent 2 hours at the Verizon store. They said it was an Apple issue. Spent an hour at the Genius Bar. They told me to contact Apple Care. After a 30min call with Apple Care they put in a ticket to “Engineering”. A Day later they called me back and said it was a hardware issue and that I would have to either buy a refurbished one or a new one. Today I was prepared to go buy a new one but in a last ditch effort I attempted one LAST activation. I was in a rush so I blew through some of the screens…

…here’s how it was accidently fixed for me…

The iPad was already connected to WiFi but was turned off. When this happens you go back to the start screen where it asks you which language. I hit next, then next again (which country), then next again (this is the WiFi page). I did NOT let the WiFi screen load. I simply hit next before it could get a reading on anything. Boom! Right into a successful activation!

So if your iPad2 is stalling and not activating, make sure you’re logged into your WiFi network. Turn your iPad off. Turn your iPad back on and just hit NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, quickly without letting the pages load completely.

Good luck. I hope this works for you too."

May 19, 2013 12:34 PM in response to ssiao

Thank you Ssiao! Unfortunately it didn't work 😟. But what you wrote helped me to understand what is happening. The thing is that my MEID number is no longer recognized by Apple server although it is activated at Vodafone server. What I was told was that Apple must assign me another MEID number and inform Vodafone about it. I can't solve this out here in Portugal (local Apple retailors can't solve this situation ⚠). I have to go out to try to have my iPad back (hopefully 🙂).

IPad could not be activated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.