Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Hard Drive, Restoring from Time Machine, Some iPhoto Images Missing

I have one of the iMac's whose Seagate hard drive was recalled. Yesterday, I did a Time Machine backup just before leaving for the Apple Store to get the hard drive replaced.

I had OS 10.6.8 and when I got the iMac back they had installed Mountain Lion. No problem. I did a restore from my last Time Machine backup and all seemed to go pretty smoothly. However, when I opened iPhoto, some of the events and contained images seemed to be missing. I just see an outline for the events. And it's just at the very end of my library (from the end of October to the present).

The interesting thing is that if I double click on one of those "phantom" events I see a black box with a warning sign. However, below it I see all the real image thumbnails!

So, can someone suggest a way to get my events and images to display properly in iPhoto? Thx.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:36 AM

Talked with Apple last night. Everything we did to restore lost images failed to fix the issue. I did have the images still on my camera's SD card so I was not breaking out in a cold sweat.

All Time Machine backups showed the same issue. HOWEVER, I suddenly remembered I also had a SuperDuper backup and voila. The images were there.

Moral of the story: you can't ever be too rich or have too many backups (I also have an offsite backup).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2012 7:36 AM in response to outtacontext

Talked with Apple last night. Everything we did to restore lost images failed to fix the issue. I did have the images still on my camera's SD card so I was not breaking out in a cold sweat.

All Time Machine backups showed the same issue. HOWEVER, I suddenly remembered I also had a SuperDuper backup and voila. The images were there.

Moral of the story: you can't ever be too rich or have too many backups (I also have an offsite backup).

New Hard Drive, Restoring from Time Machine, Some iPhoto Images Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.