Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 Scratches & Dents - Verizon Wireless

When the iPhone5 was introducted, I pre-ordered an iPhone5 64GB Black for Verizon Wireless. I waited almost 3 weeks and spent $850+ since I was not upgrade eligible. I opened the box only to find several scratches on the black finish, I was quite disappointed. I called customer service and was advised that I could return the phone to a Verizon Wireless store. They gave me a credit to off set the $35 restocking fee.

I waited a few days, and ordered another iPhone5 64GB Black for Verizon Wireless, spent the previous $850+, waited 2 additional weeks only to receive a iPhone5 that was more cosmetically damaged than the first. I went to the Verizon Wireless store in Brandon, FL to return it. They allowed me to return it, but would not waive the $35 restocking fee. I made a point of why would I have to pay a restocking fee when the item is defective. The option they offered was to send the iPhone back and await a new one, while they hold on to my $850+. I was not agreeable that the offer, returned the phone and paid the $35.

Last Friday 11/16/12, I went into the Verizon Wireless store in Brandon, FL and requested to purchase a iPhone5 64GB White. They indicated they had 3 in stock. I indicated I would like to purchase the phone for full retail ($850+), again since I was not upgrade eligible. After the store manager provided some strong commentary (indicating I had returned 2 iPhone5's previously, and they don't like to sell the iPhone5 for full retail) and about 30 minutes waiting for him to review my account, I walked out with the iPhone5 64GB White. It has been in the original plastic covers plus a Sena case leather pouch since it came out of the box. It has a large dent in the aluminum banding. Again, another defective iPhone5.

I earlier today, read online that the Sr. VP of Apple indicated this is "normal". If this is true, I am very disappointed in Apple. I own an Mac Pro, Macbook Pro 17, Macbook Air 13", iPod classic and have been satisified with Apple products including build quality, fit and finish. The iPhone5, however, is very much unsatisfactory in build quality.

Verizon Wireless advised me that if you return multiple iPhone5's regardless of defect, they will flag your account and refuse to sell you another iPhone5. How can a company like Apple tell me what I can buy and not buy, and tell me I have to live with defective, poor quality devices ?

The main reason I want an iPhone5 is for the LTE (4g) network access, but I am not going to spend $850+ and live with scratches and dents out of the box. It is one thing that if I drop it, scratch, or dent it.

I am going to go back to my iPhone 4S 64GB Black which is in excellent condition and other than the LTE (4g) access, is just fine.

I am really disappointed in Apple for the poor build quality/fit & finish, especailly when in the introduction video they talked about the high quality and close tolerances within the process. I am also unhappy about Apple telling me when, where, and how many iPhone5's I can buy.

I guess to avoid getting my Verizon account flagged, I will see the iPhone5 online and hopefully someone will be OK with the ding on the band before any additional blemishes appear or happen. My next LTE (4g) phone may have to be a Motorola device.

Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:28 AM

3 replies

Nov 19, 2012 11:58 AM in response to GFTINFL

Horrible experiance you've been through, I also have had bad luck with iPhone 5. I originally ordered my iPhone 5 64 in black from VZW website on Sep 28th. I did have eligible upgrade by the way. Got it on Oct 4th. It had a small paint chip on the bezel near attenna left hand side.

Ordered another one over the phone. Held my money until they got the first one back. I got the 2nd black on the 10th of Oct. Surprisingly it was in mint shape! no dents or any type of scratches or paint chips. At that point tho I was bored with black phone so I decided I wanted white. (I know i was giving up a perfect iPhone 5 but i just fell for the white after i seen some people with it).

I had to wait a few days for them to get the black iPhone so i could re order the white one. So about a week later I call back and for some reason it wasnt letting them order it on my current line. Luckily I had another with an upgrade so I order it. About a week later I receive my white iPhone 5 64g. Notice a scratch on the back near bezel. So dissapointed! I ship back the current black iPhone and wait again a week before I can re order another one.

I try to order another one but VZW tells me that Apple was not allowing them to order iPhone, so they transfer me to tech support and tell me that Im only allowed to replace it once on each line. I mention that on second line I had only ordered one phone. So he allows me to re order for the final time and I receive it on the 7th of Nov. At first it was in perfect shape , after a while I notice two small nicks on the shiny part of bezel and one smaller one on the top. At this point Im done with VZW and will not order from them again.

I decide to sell it on Craigslist and use my main line's upgrade to buy another and pocket some money at the same time. I find someone interested but i end up getting scammed with counterfeit money!. I now go through Asurion to order a replacement (with $200 deductible) I get it from them on Friday brand new sealed in box. (atleast i didnt have to buy a new one again like with VZW) I find a small nick on the left side of bezel. I decided I was done and was going to keep it. But after a while I notice that the power botton was not very responsive.

I called Asurion to let them know and ship me another replacement Im due to receive today. Lets see how this one arrives. Im praying theres no nicks or dents and that its functional, I did notice that this Asurion replacements was from the September batch so these are older ones.

Dec 7, 2012 6:07 PM in response to GFTINFL

I had a similar thing happen to me. Ended up returning the iPhone 5 several times and got flagged just like you did. One of those returns was replaced with a certified pre-owned. That was the biggest mistake ever. It was in far worse condition than any of the new ones. It seems ridiculous that we are being punished for demanding our money's worth. Not only that, but to be honest, the employees in the Verizon store were fairly rude and implied multiple times that the whole situation was my fault for being picky and that I should stop costing their compay money. And, of course, they tried to imply that I was the one who had scratched my phone and it did not come that way. I think I am happy with the condition of my current one so I guess I am just going to hope I don't have to return it for a different reason in the future. That being said, I find in unacceptable that I or anyone else would be treated this way by a company that lives off of our business (I am referring to Verizon, not Apple).

iPhone5 Scratches & Dents - Verizon Wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.