Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"7toX": how do I get XML file if I can't install FCP7?

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to open a Final Cut Pro 7 project into Final Cut Pro X. I downloaded the app "7toX" but was disheartened when I learned that the conversion requires the XML file from FCP7, NOT the .fcp project file. All I have are the .FCP project files from old projects.

I no longer have access to FCP7. Even if I did it would be a pain in the *** to install FCP7 on my machine as I'd have to create a separate partition on my harddrive in order to keep FCPX.

To me 7toX is a kind of useless tool because you still need all 3 apps, FCP7, FCPX and 7toX, to make the transition.

Is there any kind of work-around here?

Thanks!

-Blake

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:07 PM

6 replies

Nov 19, 2012 5:16 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

If that were completely true, then you would be able to install it as a separate application, with FCP7 and FCPX living on the same partition like any other applications. Even in the FCPX documentation (in the section where they instruct how to install FCP7 and X on separate partitions), they state that, just as with any other applications, you can't have more than one generation of an app installed on the same partition simultaneously. Apple looks at it as just the new version of older software, not a different program.

Nov 19, 2012 5:28 PM in response to Blake Hodges

This is crap. You can run them on the same partition. Most people do. Both applications, all the X based apps and the old studio apps can be in the same Applications folder at the same time. You just can't run them at the same time because they access the same system resources. The only single thing FCP7 and FCPX have in common is that they carry the name in the Applications folder. 7 is based on 32-bit code going back to OS8. FCPX is fully 64-bit and has no relation to earlier models, and is based wholly on AV Foundation. This was all made clear from the first introduction of the application.

Nov 19, 2012 6:22 PM in response to Blake Hodges

What you need to do is to find somebody with FCP-7. Then have them open up your project files that you want to use in FCP-X (you don't need the media - just the project file, it will come up in FCP-7 with all the media off-line, that is OK) and once they are open, have them export an XML of each project, and save that exported XML.

Then use 7toX to convert(open) them in FCP-X so that you can use them in FCP-X. Once the project is open in FCP-X, you'll need to reconnect the media.

Make sure you read the cautions from 7toX - not all the data is transferred:

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/7toX/about.html

MtD

"7toX": how do I get XML file if I can't install FCP7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.