Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 "voice control" vs iPhone 5 "Siri".

HI,

I have just upgraded by orgininal iPhone 4 (not 4s) to an iPhone 5. I used voice control continiuosly on my iPhone 4 for basic tasks like "call home" or "play music" etc. It was an absolute "must have" feature which I had a long drive to work. It was limited but functional and worked well (mostly).

I have been really disappointed so far with Siri. This is my first time using Siri and I have been really dissapointed to discover that it will not work without an internet connection for basic "voice control" commands. I know that it uses apple servers for complex voice recognition and analysis, and I accept this. However I would expect the operating system to have the facility to check its stock of basic commands in the absence of internet connections. I know that I can turn Siri off in the set up and voice control wil take over but isn't the whole point of this to be hands free?

I should be able to issue a command like "phone home" with or without an internet connection.

iOS 6.0.1, iPhone5

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:18 PM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2012 2:39 PM in response to whatheck

Thanks for the reply.

Its not an issue regarding cellular data. When I have an internet connection Siri works pretty well. My issue is when I drop internet connection as I drive through areas that dont have 3g etc. On these occasions I lose all voice control of the phone or whilst Im at home and I have my router switched off. I see no reason why "voice control" should not automatically kick in for basic commands in the absence of a connection.

Thanks

iPhone 4 "voice control" vs iPhone 5 "Siri".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.